Brithday Present Ride, Day 2

Sunday, August 24, 2008

You ever notice that you never realize how full a day is until you lay your head on the pillow? I may have been still swooning from the great day and ride on Friday, or it might have been two days in the August Sun, or even all the deep belly laughs, but I do know that I slept very well that Saturday Night.

I woke up Sunday, refreshed, and eager to hit the road again. First off was packing up, then taking the gear down and packing it on the bike. I am so glad that I have a good set of saddle bags, and a trunk. Makes things easy to stow away. I see some people spending countless minutes, riding time minutes mind you, strapping and re-strapping.

The first order of business was breakfast, my parent's in their car, and my brother and I on our bikes headed out in search of the morning meal. Gee, another thought, how long has it been since this family sat down to breakfast together? At this point, it was less than a birthday present, and more of a family vacation. For some reason, my brother and I were not fighting along the trip?

After breakfast, I would take the lead, as their was a Covered Bridge in the area that I wanted to see. After circling the park, we found an entrance, and cruised to the sheltered span. It was actually built in Connersville by the Kennedy Family of bridge builders, then dis-assembled, and moved to this location.

This was my stint of leading, so I was back to following as we rode out of town, and back into the farm fields of Indiana. One of the pleasant surprises, and a sign of the times was near Kentland, Indiana. Reaching high into the sky, catching the breeze as it flows over the flat land, was a wind farm. It looked like hundreds of large propped windmills dotted the landscape. It was Holland, projected a hundred years. Sure they were white, steel structures, devoid of imagination, but seeing he blades spin slowly just seemed to be such a sight.

After meandering around some more, and being disappointed that Naked City, a nudist colony, was not on the list of stops, we found ourselves at Fair Oaks Farms. This is one of the largest dairy farms in the world! In fact, they have some many head of cattle, they have new born every single day! The farm is set up as a tourist stop, and here we were. But dairy means ice cream, so it is a good stop in the afternoon for motorcyclists, and their parents in the car behind them.

After an icy treat, we headed back out once again. This time the parents were hitting the highway, and making their own way home. The two bikes would continue on state and county roads until Lafayette, Indiana. My brother and his wife would veer off, headed for home, and I would be back riding by myself again.

I had music from the MP3 Player to keep me company, but my mind could not stop from wondering. I was kind of going passed Danville. Maybe I could stop in on Kasey, and see her again, take her for a little ride? The debate would continue in my mind until I needed to stop for gas, near Lebanon, Indiana. After fueling up, I pulled out my phone, and there was a text message from her. I had to call her now, no more debate.

Well, as luck would have it, we would talk, but not meet, as she had homework from the college classes she was taking, and education has to be a priority for her, instead of joy rides on The Pearl. The rest of the ride was little joy for me, as I wanted to just get home,so I used the super slab through town. I-65 lead me to I-70, then 465 on the east side of town, and on to home.

I guess now, my birthday is finally over. I can say I have been there, done that to changing to forty years old. It took two weeks, but, hey, if riding is celebrating, I will be celebrating the rest of the season!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less About the Riding

Riding with Veterans

2009 Soup Run: Day 2: Soups On!