Back in the Family

Saturday, June 17, 2006

If you have read any of my previous posts, then you know that I just hate it when I have to ride somewhere. I mean, I have to plan a good scenic route, then I have to clean up the bike, then I have to do all that riding. Geez, when can I get a brake! ;-)

So here it is a Saturday, the weather is supposed to be clear, and it may reach 90, a first in over a year for Indianapolis. My destination, the Circus Capital of the World, Peru, Indiana. I know, with the number of clowns, you may have expected my to say Washington, DC, but this honor belongs to Peru. My father, and his father, grew up in the town in north central Indiana. Before you go running for a map, it is about 70 miles straight north of Indianapolis on US 31. Just north of Kokomo and Grissom Air Force Base.

Since some of my dad's siblings, and another descendants of the family still live nearby, or even in town, this is a great location to have the family reunion. Apparently, the milestone of this one was that my dad's father would have 100 years old, if he was still living. He died at the age of 60, in 1966, two years before I came to this world. I only know him through my father's memories, a view that may have been a bit clouded, as I would find out during the quiz about my grandfather's history later that day.

But you don't want to hear too much about the family, until you hear about my journey to get there. I started out by heading to Kroger to pick up an item to bring. A cousin, who was the elected secretary of the family, had a daughter that was getting married, so I never received any invitation. I also have not attended one in quite a while because of work, and then because I was traveling to the Cruiser Club National Rally, Gathering of Eagles. I guess I can't complain about being left out of the family plans. From Kroger, I headed north up Shadeland Avenue, and then on to I-70, heading East.

I took I-70 to SR 9, and then began my journey north. This State Road goes through several charming little Indiana towns, and eventually I would veer off onto other roads like Fortville Road, a little favorite of mine, and then SR 234, and eventually join up with SR 13. Sound like bad luck, but before I 69, I would imagine that SR 13 was the road to get from northern Indiana to central. The point at which I joined SR 13 is an old abandon restaurant called "Wheelers". For some reason, it reminded me of the bar in "From Dusk till Dawn". It wasn't creepy or anything, just that old style, 1950's roadside, tourist trap, kind of diner. For a long time, it was the only thing you could see out here. Today, I could see the edge of a neighborhood that had been developed. It looks likes it could be a good time for "Wheelers" to spin back into business. Alas, I have to believe it's days are numbered, and it will probably be leveled for a Starbucks, or some other assembly line, devoid of character eatery.

At Elwood, Indiana, I turned West onto SR 18. I could see the Elwood Airport restaurant still looked open for business, and busy. I know that you are thinking that Airport Food can't be too good, but this is a great little place to take little ride to and get some grub (food for you non-Hoosiers).

I was on SR 18 until I would connect into SR 19, or so I thought. SR 19 was closed due to repair. I couldn't imagine a road in Indiana under construction. I hardly ever see those orange cones anywhere! I am being sarcastic. It is often said the shortest distance between to points in Indiana is always under construction. Apparently, the not so short, maybe even scenic route, is also under construction! I had to continue on SR 18, the detour would take me to US 31, but the GPS had other ideas. Fortunately, this is not a county with a lot of gravel roads, so I stayed on pavement for most of the detour. I spilled back onto SR 19, and even had to weave around the barriers to get around the warning for southbound drivers.

SR 19 would take me right into the Three Ring Town, and quite close to Maconqauh Park, where the reunion would be held. I decided to take a trip around the park, and just see what was going on. A lot of activity, included many duffers on the Golf Course.

I eventually pulled into the parking lot for Shelter One, the one reserved for the Myers Clan. It wasn't like I wasn't recognized, as I had attended other event like funerals since the last reunion, so many of these people have seen me recently. This was going to be one of those Ride to Eat, Eat to Ride trips. The reunion was also a pitch in.

After lunch, there was an auction of junk to raise money for the family, to help pay for the shelter house rental. Then there was a quiz of what you might now about Grandpa Myers. Since I never knew him, I had only the knowledge that my father passed down. One of the questions was about one of the daughter mishandling a tool, and how he reacted to it. Apparently, instead of being the right too for the right job kind of man that my father always portrayed him as, he was just whatever was handy, and at one time spanked my cousin with a wrench, instead of cutting a switch form the nearby tree.

I also found out, from the bonus question, that my grandfather, growing up in Peru, rode bicycles, and was friends with the renown composer Cole Porter. Pretty cool, huh?

We all put our names on balloons, and released them. A phone number for a family member was attached, and we were promised that we would let know where our balloon landed. Some got stuck in a nearby tree, so it maybe a local call.

With that, it was time to head out on the road, and get back home. I decided that I would take the quick way home, as it was getting on in the day.

US 31 would be my road of choice for nearly all of the route. I was amazed just not at all the bikes I waved at on the way home, but how many American-African Riders I saw. I have met a few black riders in my days, but I have never seen so many, so I was amazed that I haven't spent more time running into, and meeting more. I have to admit that they rode a great variety of brands and types of bikes, and they all waved. Their friendliness made me yearn more to meet and ride with them!

It was a hot trip back home, but I was able to keep moving, and therefore, partially cool. Tomorrow is another breakfast, but a cold front was threatening rain, even on Saturday Night. So the next time you read from me, it maybe Wednesday, and the ride to Fort Wayne for Gathering of Eagles X.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less About the Riding

Riding with Veterans