My Early Christmas Present: Power!

Saturday, December 23, 2007

Here it is, two days before Christmas, all my shopping had been done for a week! So unmanly. The sun came out, and melted the five or six inches of snow, sending the temps to near 60 degrees. So now you are expecting a long trip, right?

Wrong! Whether it was one thing or the other, the day eroded away, and darkness would fall before I would get this short trip off and running.

You would think after nearly 35 years of riding, that I wouldn't get the feeling I do when that engine comes to life. I admit it, I am deeply in love with this motorcycle, and when it springs to life, my heart races to match the rpm's, seemingly beating at nearly a thousand times a minute.

As the engine warmed, pumping the oil through its system, I tightened my helmet strap, and slipped on my gloves. I tried to get the garage door down, but it was going, and I wasn't waiting!! It was warm enough to leave it open.

The bike made a small leap as my left foot pushed down on the gear shift, locking into first gear. Very few revs are needed as I slide out the clutch lever under my left hand. The 1800 cc's, 100 horsepower, and 110 foot pounds of torque slow move the 750 pound beast forward. A little throttle, and the bike came to life, slowly cruising to the end of the driveway.

I turned north, letting the bike ease up through the gears until I got to Tenth Street. After waiting for some of the Catholic Church Traffic, I eased heading East on Tenth Street. I would go until the next light, Franklin Road, and then turn south.

I was still taking it easy, just letting the engine warm, the fluids move around, and myself to get my riding legs back. I crossed over Washington Street, and continued south. I would make my way back west at Brookville Road. The pavement was wider, the street better lit, and I was getting braver, letting the bike run out some more throttle before shifting. I rode under 465, and then took the exit to Shadeland Avenue.

As I accelerated down the ramp, I saw a long break in the traffic, I didn't need to speed up to merge, but the bike sure wanted to! I let it happen, roaring through the gears, third and fourth, reaching fifth gear as I entered the road. I went under a railroad overpass, and eased off the throttle. It seemed to take forever to coast back to 55 mph.

The exit for Washington Street came up fast, and I leaned the bike over, switching back and forth as the pavement curved into the next road. I eased over to the left lane, and returned to me street in far too less time. It was a great present from Santa to give me just these few minutes to hear that roar, and feel that power.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less About the Riding

Riding with Veterans