Halloween: A Scary Record

October 30, 2008




Trick or Treat! Today is a day for a spooky ride, right? Maybe I should throw a hay bail or two on the bike? Well today would be landmark day, but for more than being a day when kids dress up as their true evil egos, and beg from door to door for candy. I like Halloween, just like have a strange take on it.

Kasey and I started out of Danville, Indiana heading south on SR 39. Cartersburg Road is another great we take out of town, and I haven't ventured down SR 39 in a while. We arrived at US 40, The National Road, and headed a little east, past Cartersburg Road, and turned south on Miles Road.

After jogging on a few County Roads, we arrived at SR 267 and headed south. This part of SR 267 winds it way south into Moorseville, Indiana. We turned left, heading east on SR 42 to cruiser further into town. We took South Indiana Street until we arrived at Grey Brother's Cafeteria. It is positioned just before the Indiana Street pours back onto SR 67.

Grey Brother's is known pretty well known for its food. In fact, you need divine intervention to get into the place on a Sunday after church. This was early fall, and the temps were unusually warm, but, since it was a Friday, the place was not as jammed pack as it can be. The parking lot was still quite full.

We parked the bike, and strolled across the to enter the building.

When food is this good, you take the time to savor it, and it was wonderful. We also had a great view of The Pearl sitting in her parking space. I think there was one or two other bikes in the lot, but it was mostly full of large, four door sedans, driven by the senor set.

We headed out into the Harvest Time Sun, making our way east on SR 144. At Mann Road, a great road that winds north back into Indianapolis, we turned north. At the south edge of this road, it is farm land, dotted by a few suburban houses. It gives away to parks and a golf course as it nears town. Shame, all this will be gone to build an unnecessary highway soon.

We turned east on Southport Road. We passed a few RV Parks that are on small lakes, and then to Bluff Road. We headed north on Bluff Road which offers a mix of neighborhoods, commercial and industrial buildings.

I guided The Pearl onto Pleasant Run Parkway and meandered our way through Indianapolis. We picked up Pleasant Run all the way to Arlington Avenue. I thought I might have back timed the ride to perfectly hit my house at my milestone.

As we approached Tenth and Arlington, the odometer flipped, one five followed by four zeros. When I rode this bike out of the dealer's garage for the first time, I knew I wanted it to be the first bike I record 100,000 miles. At this moment I was halfway there. Only once has a mechanic rode this bike, and it was only a few hundred feet. The bike had three tenths of a mile on it when I bought it, so I have certainly ridden all those miles myself. Besides, it was only the meter, and I knew it wasn't accurate, so I am probably closer to 60,000 miles.

We stopped in a parking lot, took a few pictures, and then headed off on Tenth Street and rode to my house.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less About the Riding

Riding with Veterans