You Know It Is Good Place to Eat When...

Sunday, June 14th, 2009



Well, I have been wanting to ride, but just had not made an opportunity for a bit. Well, Al, the vice president of the Cruiser Club had called, and wanted to ride this weekend. He had found a new place to ride to and get a bite to eat, and he was dying to lead me there.

I polished up the bike a bit, and waited for Al to roll up the driveway. I need gas, and that would be our first stop. We both fueled up at the Thornton's. Al asked about taking 465 to I-65 down south. I had to ask, he seemed to want to get there fast, if he was really that hungry. He dislikes the super slab as most of the riders I motorcycle.

We would have started out on 465, but Al missed the turn, and in true Cruiser Club fashion, we made a U-Turn. It happens to the best of us, trust me.

Well, we got on 465, and rounded the circle city, and made our way to I-65. We began heading south, past Greenwood, and then Franklin, Indiana. It was all that a ride on the highway can be, mind numbing and boring, but we were making good time.

Al chimed in on the CB that he was bored also, so we took the next exit. It happened to be SR 252. We headed west to the town of Edinburgh, Indiana. It is a quaint little place. The west edge has a damn that has created a waterfall. I can only think that at sometime there was a mill, maybe even a covered bridge that spanned the water way.

After wandering a little further on 252, we crossed US 31, and then road through Camp Atterbury. AL had planned to take 252 all the way to SR 135, but my mind was creating other routes. Just passed the U.S. Army Camp, is the town of Ninevah.

I told Al to hang a left at the light in town, and we were heading south on Ninevah Road. It only goes south for a little bit, curves around a general store, and winds through the woods.

After a few miles of cruising through the woods, we came upon Beech Tree Lane. This is a nice lane the weaves through, well, Beech Trees. The trees near the road were filling out nicely, but beyond the green leaves, light could be seen. A year and half ago, a storm came through and wiped out quite a few of the trees. Things were coming back already, and I can't wait to ride this route in years in the future, and see the rebirth of one of Indiana's most beautiful rides.

Beech Tree Lane is a road that could go on forever for me. But it T's, way too early, and we turn south on Peoga Road. From that road, we meander onto Sweetwater Trail, and into the town of Gainsville, Indiana. So small, you enter and leave at the same time! We got behind a couple on a Harley riding very gingerly. It was hard to take some of the turns that slow.

After more winding through the woods and farms, we arrived just east of Nashville, Indiana, and SR 135. After waiting to get out of the Shell Station, we turned south on SR 135. More curves through farms and trees, and passing lots of bikes, including being behind a group, mostly made up of the new Victory Vision. It is a well designed and refined bike, but it must not handle that great. Al and I were running up on their tailpipes the whole trip.

We had a stop at Story, Indiana, and let several motorcycles make the turn in front of us. We continued on SR 135, and rode through the small town of Freedom, Indiana. No parades today, but I have gone through this town when it had one ready to go, and our little group of bikes become the testers for the parade route. It was fun to wave to all the people waiting for the real parade.

SR 58 came along in short order, and we headed west. More meandering road asphalt lead us along. After passing by more Hoosier Farmland, we approached the town of Kurtz, Indiana. On the east side of town was the destination, Cafe 58. As we pulled in and parked in the gravel parking lot, I spied some other motorcycles that looked very familiar. After parking, and flipping up the shield on the helmet, I saw faces that I knew. It was the Bloomington Chapter of Cruiser Club, USA. A mark of how good a place is to eat. Since our club's other slogan is Ride to Eat, Eat to Ride, you know it is a good place to eat when there are cruiser club bikes parked out front.

Al and I had a great lunch, and good conversation. A group on a poker run came in, about 100 of them, and mostly used the facilities.

We planned our route back home with full bellies, and headed out. We started out back on SR 58, until it joined SR 135, and followed both roads back to Freedom, Indiana, and then stayed on SR 58. I wasn't sure how good of a ride it would be, but I was very pleasantly surprised.

We stopped just before SR 58 went over I-65, and fueled up the bikes. It was a quick stop, and we headed north on I-65. On the south side of Columbus, Indiana, we took the ramp off the highway, and onto SR 46. This took us into Columbus, and we traveled through part of the city, and beared onto US 31 North. It rounded a little more around town, and then back under I-65.

We continued on US 31 North, through Edinburgh once again, and into the town of Franklin, Indiana. Al slowed, and turned into a Dairy Queen. I had to check to make sure Al hadn't traded his VTX for a Goldwing!

After a tasty frosty treat, we headed out again, north on US 31. At Smith Valley, we turned east. The road curves north, and meets with Greenwood's Main Street. A couple more blocks to the east, and we would be on I-65, going north back to Indianapolis.

We made our way to 465, and around town. I pulled off at the exit for Washington Street. I needed a few things, milk, chips, and potting soil, so I made my way to K-Mart to do some shopping. It was a short trip home from there.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Love your story,its freetown,in.on 135

Popular posts from this blog

Less About the Riding

Riding with Veterans