GOE XX, Day Two: The Things I see in Kentucky

Sunday, June 19, 2016: Father's Day

Day Two of heading to Gathering of Eagles, Cruiser Club, USA's Annual Gathering, held this year in Fort Wayne, Indiana is still kind of a Blue Collar mile day, but it will be much more enjoyable.

We started the morning by heading out of our hotel and crossing Interstate 75. We would see far fewer super slabs today. Our bellies were full, and my Honda VTX 1800c, as well as my chase vehicle, with Kasey and her daughter Rose inside, needed full tanks to start the day.

So we set out heading west on the Russell Dyche Memorial Highway. A quick Google Search yielded that Russell was a local journalist during the early two thirds of the 20th Century. He was also a conservationist, and gave part of his salary to create an area park. I would say that is worthy of having a stretch of road named after you.

The road sweeps back and forth through Kentucky foothills and leads us to Somerset. Her we start heading north on Highway 27. In Danville, Kentucky, we continue north onto Highway 127, which takes on a bypass of Lexington. Not that it is a hard to get around, just trying to avoid those turn and burn miles I got too much of yesterday.

While I'm thinking of the past, I'm reminded of another trip to another GOE. This one was just my brother and I. We were riding through the Bluegrass State and up ahead I saw a small vehicle headed toward us, off on the wide shoulder of the road. We both slowed as we passed the lawn mower, with a gentleman clad in bib overhauls perched in the seat. Behind the tractor was a trailer, filled with laundry, and what I can only guess was this man's bride. She was sprawled out, looking like the days chore of cleaning clothing had worn her out. She was very relaxed perched upon the clothing.

We skirt the edge of Frankfurt, and hop on Highway 421. This road will take us over the Ohio River and into Hoosier Territory. First, we have to navigate the twists and turns. I'm enjoying this stretch of road, as it is welcome change from the highways of yesterday. I do have to slow from time to time, and remember my partner is behind me in a Ford Explorer, not the sportiest of rides. I remember thinking we should have borrowed her father's BMW Z3, and she would be having fun with me.

We cross the river, and enter the town of Madison, Indiana, and it's time for a break for lunch somewhere along the bank. We find a mom and pop kind of place, and while waiting for our food, I mention I have never been down here for the Madison Regatta, but have often yearned to see the jet boats flying over the water. I'm sure I would regret the fulfilling of that wish, as I am not a great crowd person.

With full stomachs and full fuel tanks, we continued north on 421, heading out of Historic Madison, then through Versailles, pronounced as it is spelled in this area, not the French way, and Greensburg. This town is known for the tree that grows out of the town hall.

Normally, we would continue north in Indianapolis. I don't mind riding the highways, or the loop around town since I have done it thousands of times. However, we needed to detour on State Road 44, as we had to head to Danville, Indiana, to drop Rose off with father for summer visitation.

In Franklin, Indiana, we split off to Highway 144. Things are becoming more and more familiar, as this was a route I would take home after working with Cummins Engines out of Columbus, Indiana. In Mooresville, we took 267 North, staying on the road where it changes name to Center Street. We arrive in Plainfield, Indiana, and take jog that puts back on State Road 267, heading further north.

The crossing of US 36 means we have arrived in Avon. We head west into Danville, veering off onto Old US 36 to County Road 450. A short trip north, and we arrive at Rose's father's apartment.

The sun was dipping in the sky, but we still had another quarter turn to make around Indianapolis to arrive on the north side of town, and my parent's house. They still live in the same house I spent all but the first four years of my life growing up.

We kept heading north on CR 450 until we meet up with CR 100, which turns into Tenth Street was you approach Marion County and Indiana's Capital City. We turn left, heading north on CR 600. This a popular back way for me to run into Brownsburg. A stint on CR 350, and we are back on SR 267 into town.

County Road 600 shares the name 56th Street, and we take that east back into the big city. We roll past Interstate 74 and then a scenic bridge crossing over Eagle Creek Reservoir. This is actually a pretty drive for being urban, as we also pass Eagle Creek Park to the north of us. As we make our way further into town, I have to mention we roll by Snacks Crossing Elementary School. I couldn't find any info on where this name comes from. If anyone cares to enlighten me, I would love to hear it.

We roll onto Kessler Boulevard, and into an area of Indy called Broad Ripple. This is where I hung out in college and post college years. The main street through the area is filled with bars, clubs, and general things for 20-somethings to do. We head north on College Avenue until 75th Street, then continue heading north on Westfield Boulevard. My memory is my GPS at this point, and I could probably drive this route blindfolded. We arrive at Orchard Park, and as I take the short drive down South Drive to my parent's house, my childhood flashes through my mind.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back in the Saddle, and the Gravel, and the Rain, Again.

Soup's On!!