The Journey for a New Ride: Part I

Originally Published in Southeastern Rider Magazine, April 2018


With my current steed approaching 100,000 miles, I thought it might be time to shop around.

Our maiden voyage for a new ride. No local dealers had a Demo Day that fit into our calendar, so we took a ride for ride.
For my followers who have read about my exploits on my Blog, or who have been following along for the past year and half in this magazine, you know that I am getting up there in miles on my 2003 Honda VTX 1800c, also known as The Black Pearl.

At the end of 2017, I had surpassed 92,000 miles. I purchased the bike in 2004 with only two tenths of a mile on the clock. Since it was my very first brand new bike, I rolled out of the dealership making it a mental goal to take this bike to six figures. With the distance approaching, my riding partner and I have begun the journey to find the next two wheeled goal-setter. So, what’s going to be the next steed in the stable? We haven’t decided this. Like riding itself, the shopping experience is more about the journey, and sometimes a destination is not even in mind when the trip begins. Like my other trips, I thought you might like to ride along with us.

Up until a few months ago, the leading contender for a replacement bike was the Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager. I had made that decision several years ago. Since, the model has aged. Other competing models, with modern extras, have also chipped away at the Kawasaki’s youth. So, we found ourselves with more options. One of the other bikes that cruised on the list is the Indian Roadmaster. This one got added to the list at the request of my riding partner. She didn’t pour through the many riding rags around the house, nor did she shop around while were out riding, and experience others on other bikes. No, we were in a local multi-brand dealership, looking at a pair of Voyagers, one new, one about a year old. As I was looking over the bikes, her interest drifted, and she noticed an additional room at the dealership. She asked what was in the room around the corner. I told her it was the Indian Room. Since I had done my due diligence, I knew that room carried a larger price tag. In addition, I have long been a liquid cooled engine, shaft drive kind of guy. She wanted to check them out anyway, and drug me, with little resistance, into the addition. At this point, I have to let you know that her favorite color is blue, and the closer the blue is to the Carolina Skies, the better. The first Indiana Touring Model her eyes fell upon was saddled in the familiar brown tanned leather, with the tins coated with a sparkling sky-blue pearl paint. It was aptly named Blue Diamond, and it became that girl’s best friend. At that point, that bike could have been pedal powered and an extra zero or two in the price tag. Nothing else mattered but that blue hue glistening in front of her.

Months later, it turns out that Indian was the first to host a Demo Day “nearby”. As someone who rode over 250 miles round trip to get an ice cream cone, nearby is a relative term. On an early November morning, with temperatures hanging on to the low end of acceptable for my riding partner and heavy clouds hanging over head, we made our way east from Stanfield, North Carolina.
Baker American Cycles in Fayetteville, North Carolina was the dealership hosting the Demo Day. This Cycle Store is 125 miles away, one way, but we felt it was worth the trip to get in some saddle time with a new potential stable mate. We also want to make sure we’re making the right decision, especially if we are dropping nearly thirty-large.

We started off heading south on Highway 200, and at Morgan Academy Road, we veered off to the left, winding our way further south and east. As we passed through New Salem, the road becomes Highway 218, and we head further south toward Polkton. As we eased down the road, the reason for all this southbound travel draws closer. We needed to skirt the south end of Lake Tillery and the adjacent Uwharrie National Forest. We could have taken Highway 24/27, but that’s the plan for the return trip. I have a bit of an unwritten rule that I don’t like to travel out and back on the same roads.
In Polkton, we join up with US-74, and take the super-slab for a bit. It’s far from a high use roadway, but still features two lanes going each direction, divided by a grass strip. At speed, the cold air pounds into us as it whips around the windshield. The clouds kept the sun from view the majority of the time, sparingly displaying that Carolina Blue. We pass through Wadesboro, and veer off on Business 74, avoiding where it becomes Interstate 74, again. In Rockingham, we exchange the roadway for Highway 1, and continue east. We passed the motor speedway, which was a bit of a surprise. Being from Indianapolis where the race track is in the city, it amazes me how many these courses are out in the middle of nowhere.

We continue on US-1 to the town of Hoffman. We have made it halfway to the dealership, so a quick posterior pause was in order. We didn’t find a gas station to stop, so we just picked an empty parking. It turned out it was for a furniture store that just opened its doors for this Saturday Morning.
After walking off the morning’s miles, we rode out of town, but not too far down the road, we made a right at County Road 1102, which took us into Addor. Here we jogged a couple of times to leave town on CR 1100. A “T” in the road meant a left onto Ashemont Road, and we were back heading due east. The name exchanges to Army Road, and then we take a turn to head south and east on CR 1244 towards Five Points. Our time on the highway was being rewarded with the views from the saddle along these county roads. Many of the trees still held leaves, as there was still lots of green to be seen, especially with the famous southern yellow pines dotting the road. At Raeford, we move onto another section of asphalt, Highway 401, and make our way north and east. This road also trades names from Raeford to Fayetteville, showing us that we are getting close to our destination. One more turn to head south on Highway 59, and in a few thousand feet, we rolled into the lot at Baker American Cycles.

We parked the bike, curiously enough next to a Kawasaki Voyager, and took a quick look around. Eventually, we made our way inside, and got signed up for our demo ride. We were assigned a burgundy Roadmaster with the Indian signature tan leather seat. We stepped back outside to watch the group before us head out. While they were out riding, we returned inside to look around the dealership some more. It wasn’t long before we could hear the bikes roll back into the dealership. Once the previous rider was gone, we begin checking out our temporary steed.

The Indian we got to take for a ride. That characteristic brown seat is an
extended reach model, and I think it made the bike not quite fit.

One of the friendly Baker Employees gave us a once over about the bike and the controls, and what our eight-mile test trip would include. In a few short moments, I was firing up the engine, and our group headed out.
I’m not sure how much a review I can give you, as it was not even ten miles. Plus, I’m coming from a bike I have ridden for nearly 15 years and 100,000 miles, which makes The Black Pearl feel like a well-worn pair of shoes. The saddle was welcome home for my butt with 125 miles on it already for the day. The bike was smooth, and as we rolled over bumps we were just feeling on the VTX. This time around,  we thought we were cruising on a cloud. For being over a hundred pounds heavier than my current bike, the Roadmaster actually felt like a smaller rider. The ruts, shallow potholes, and tar snakes seemed like mirages as the bike just kept rumbling along. That’s not to say it didn’t have road feel. It was there when I needed it, and made the bike nimble. A twist of the throttle revealed that either the power comes on smoother, or it just didn’t have the punch I enjoyed for the past decade and half. There was still plenty of horses to roar to life. Though I’m used to a hydraulic clutch, the cable clutch didn’t feel like any extra labor. 

I never did feel like I was sitting on the bike correctly. Later, I would find out that tan leather I was perched upon was an extended reach seat. I think I would do better with the regular seat, still in tan, of course. Also, the angle of the touch screen seemed low, and I felt like I had to slouch down to really view it. As we pulled up to a stop back in front of the dealership, overall, I felt a bit disappointed. I certainly didn’t feel like I had been riding $30,000 worth of engineering and craftsmanship. I wasn’t ready to take it off the list, as I’m still open to a longer venture on the bike. I need more time on the correct seat. Do you hear me Indian?

This was item one on our checklist, and now we needed to make our way to destination number two.
While not in the market for The Scout, that green with the
brown leather seat was a pretty sweet combination.
We had a company party at a bowling alley in Kannapolis to make at 3:30. We were about 150 miles away, and only had a few hours to get there.

We started out heading north on Highway 59, then to 401, and finally the All-American Highway to get out of town. The last road was quite busy, but we also needed to fill the tank on the VTX. We were hoping to make it to the party before our stomachs needed a fill, but hunger was creeping up on us. We rolled passed Fort Bragg and Pope Air Field on Highway 24. This would be the road for a lot of miles. At Spout Springs, we veer to the left to stay on 24, then a few miles down the road at Johnsonville, Highway 27 join us up with us. We keep rolling along until the town of Biscoe, just shy of the Uwharrie National Forest. Our bellies were groaning louder then the bike’s exhaust, so a stop at Subway was in order. We relaxed and had our sandwiches, realizing we weren’t going to make the 3:30 start time, but we would still go and have the best time we could.

We mounted back up, and headed further west, soon surrounded by national forest. We arrived in Albemarle, and with a short jaunt up US 52, turned left onto Highway 73. We passed through Millingport, and then Mount Pleasant. Around Gold Hill Road, we lost the battery life on the old phone I use for a GPS, and while stopping to fuel up, I swamped in my current phone with Google Maps to be our guide. Irish Potato, Old Salisbury-Concord Roads and Lane Street took us into Kannapolis. We rolled into the parking lot of Foxfire Lanes about ten minutes till four. We had made pretty good time, and our arrival could be called, “fashionably late”. 

I won’t bore you with the details of our bowling performance. I don’t think between the two matches Kasey and I rolled against each other, that our combined scores would equal a perfect, single game. We did have a good time, and was able to catch some more food, Carolina Bar-B-Que, of course.
We made our way south on Highway 29 through Concord, to 601, then finally back to Highway 200. We consumed nearly 300 miles toward the ultimate goal, with an additional 8 miles in a strange saddle. Reflecting back to that short jaunt, it felt like a tease. We got just enough taste to long for more of the entrée in the form of more miles to truly get a good test. Indian, are hearing you me?

Rodney Myers is Rider, a Writer, and Video Storyteller. He started riding around age 5. He made up stories before he knew how to write, and was fortunate enough to attend a high school that had a television station.
To read more of my motorcycle stories, you can check out my Motorcycle Blog at:

For more information:
Baker American Cycles: www.bakeramericancycle.com
Indian Motorcycles: www.indianmotorcycle.com
Foxfire Lanes:
www.foxfirelanes.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less About the Riding

Riding with Veterans