Run to Badin Beach

My Loop for the day, from Stanfield up to Mount Pleasant, then over to Badin,
 passed along the empty beach, and then meandered back home.
So with two days left in 2018, Mother Nature decided to bless North Carolina with some decent weather. 2018 has been one of the wettest years on record for the area, and two Hurricanes passing through didn't help that. When the rain was not in the forecast, that meant clear skies, but also cold temperatures, so the riding has been limited as of late.

It was still a little below Kasey's threshold, but with her encouragement, I headed out on the road alone. I started out heading north on 200, also known as Central Avenue, in the mid sixty degree air. As I made way into Stanfield, then out, and into Locust, then out, the speed limit bounced back and forth between 35 and 45 miles per hour. As I break free of Stanly County, the limit goes up to double nickles for short time until I approach Goergeville. This is not much of a town, but it does have a good sized volunteer fire department, which is also a good place for cops to hang out running radar. Sure enough, today I would be smart to cruise down to the lower speed.

The next slow down would be my turn on to Mount Pleasant Road. As you might think, this road makes it way back a forth and eventually into the town of Mount Pleasant. At Highway 73, which passes through town and is probably also Main Street, I take a left, and make my way through the west side of town, and across Highway 49. Up a slight hill, and I make a right on Moose Road. I rolled passed Terry T-bo's house, and while the garage doors were up, I couldn't see if his steel steed, Lucy, was parked inside. Another few feet of chugging down his lane, and I would know for sure. Terry was returning to his home from his father in law's just down the street. I made a u-turn behind him, and rolled into his driveway.

We chatted a bit, and I discovered that this was he and his bride's, Kina, anniversary. Between babysitting a niece, and there youngest son not having many plans, they hadn't been able to get out for a nice dinner. Tonight was going to be the night.

After plenty of conversation, I headed back down Moose Road and met up with Mount Olive Road. I took a right, and was headed east. My destination was the town of Badin, North Carolina. Even though I knew how to get there, I followed the alternative path highlighted on my Sygic GPS App.

The next turn was Fischer Road, which I don't think I had ever been on. The new bends in the pavement were exciting, and I actively concentrated on my counter-steer and position in the lane for practice. This would end at Highway 49, where I took a left, and the road straightened out to serve it's 55 mph limit.

I arrived in Richfield, and the intersection of US 52. I turned right, and headed south for the next little North Carolina town of New London. Lots of signs dot the intersection of State Roads 8 and 740. At the next light, SR 8 veers to the north, while 740 continues east through town. I stay on the triple digit-ted road, and wind with it to the south. There is a piece of land for sale just north of town, and I wanted to check it out. I didn't know until I arrived, I should have brought my drone. The land was perched above the road side, and only a point of the triangular plot met the road. At least I knew where it was.

This is just part of the lake shore that Badin has to offer. Despite all this
beauty and water, the town stays a sleepy little burg.
I continued south into town. If the air was twenty degrees warmer or more, I probably would have been met with gridlock. Today, the beach was empty, but there was some good traffic at the boat launch. I stopped to take in the view. While there I wondered why this little place hadn't become overgrown a tourist site. Lots of lake front beach, beautiful views, a real place to get away from it all. It put me in the mind of The Ozarks in Missouri while it was in its youth.

As I continued through town, I rolled passed its major fixture. It only has one Mini-Mart/Gas Station in town, but the other side of the road is dominated but a steel and concrete dinosaur. The first life of this town was based on the Aluminum that was produced by Alcoa in this massive plant. I believe recycling goes on in part of the facility today, but most of it appears to be shuttered. I imagined a large section being razed and a Walmart in its place. While not my favorite company, it could lead the way to making Badin a boom town.

Shortly south of town, I came upon slowing traffic, and police car parked cross ways in the street. The officer was waving the traffic to a detour. Not sure what was going on, but I followed the traffic, and down Sweet Home Church Road. I have seen a lot of roads named after churches, but this one goes up near the top as a favorite for its name.

The sugary sounding street ended at Main Street for Albemarle, and I continued following the traffic back into town. SR 740 ends and becomes US 52, so I take a left and pass through the shopping district of Albemarle. Not in a rush to get home, and not having too much desire to ride the slab of Highway 24/27 home, I took at left at Saint Martens. While waiting for the green turn arrow to appear, I saw a couple on a Gold Wing pass in front of me. The light appeared, and I decided to take the easy straight stretch to catch up to them.

I always hear owners rave about how well a Gold Wing handles and performs. I have ridden a couple my self, and while extremely comfortable, I didn't think they had anything on my VTX. In fact, I found myself running up on their license plate in the corners. I felt like he was trying to lose me coming out of the corners, but a VTX will out do a wing up to triple digits. I hung right in there, and even got a couple of scrapes of the floorboards before I had to back off to keep from passing them in a curve.

We rolled into the town of Oakboro, and they went straight, where I made a right turn. I could have kept behind them, but I felt like Big Lick Road offered me more a challenge today. I made my way through town, and then turned left on to Big Lick north of town. Secretly, I was praying I wouldn't get behind a mini-van or some other slow moving vehicle. Luck was with me, and clear road lay ahead.

A few more scrapes of the floorboards, and lots of work on the handlebars, and I was back in Stanfield at Highway 200 where The Wayside Cafe sits.I turned left, and headed south for home. Pretty sure this will be the last miles for 2018.

Lost them in Oakboro, I turned, they went straight. Big Lick Road was a quick trip home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less About the Riding

Riding with Veterans