Sunny, Blue Skies and Dry Asphalt

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Every year I probably say this, but it seems like I wait longer and longer for spring to come, and more importantly, the riding season to begin. I am certainly not ready to declare it yet, I do live in Indiana after all, and I have seen snow cancel opening day at the track!

Well, on this day just ahead of the Ides, the skies were blue, and the sunny still blazed through the light wispy clouds and jet trails. Normally I wouldn't plan out a route on a day like this, but since I wanted to end up at the PUD (Parental Unit Dwelling) at the right time.

I started out heading east on 10th Street, on my way to Greenfield, Indiana. I would jog north to 21st Street north of Cumberland. I continued east until Fortville Road. I have been on this road before, so it was good to start with a path I had seen before. Inside the city, the road is riddled with pot holes, and even piles of salt that still remains. We need that first good spring hard shower to wash the roads off. Out in the sticks however, the roads are in better shape, and they seemed very clear!!

I took off north on Fortville Road, feeling the tires come up to temperture, the engine cleaning out, and smooth glide of the road. There are nice curves, and some good scenery along the way to Fortville. Once I arrived there, I cruised through town to SR 238, which would be my road of choice. Eventually, that hooked up with SR 32 which I took along in a east direction. I thought I would be taken this close to Anderson, and then hitting another road, but low and behold, I found something new!! As I approached Conneticut Avenue, I could see its twists on the GPS. You know I couldn't resist!!

The road was curvy, tree lined and I am sure a beautiful site in the fall! This is a new road that is going to have to be visited once again. It brought me back out to SR 13. I took that north to Anderson, where I joined 8th Street, which becomes Strawtown Road.

The pavement was clean, unbroken, and and I was dialed in with the bike, becoming one with the Black Pearl. After several twists I realized I was not slowing down going into corners marked as 35 mph. Some of them I was actually speeding up!! I love riding with a groups, and seeing new sites, and experiencing with others, but sometimes I need to get out and get the blood flowing, and the heart rate going. Everything fades away, the music no longer in my head, it is just me, the bike, and the curvy asphalt.

I took Strawtown Road all the way to Cicero, where I took Main Street South through what seemed an endless school zone! 25 mph seemed like I was sitting still. But it gave me time to gaze at the sun sparkling off the water in Morse Resevoir. This is the kind of ride that it is nice to have passenger to just relax with, and enjoy nature.

I jogged on a few county roads, and ended up on Little Chicago Road, which T's with SR 32. I headed back east to get to River Road, just to take a path that was not straight, and had something more than the cookie cutter houses to look at.

When I arrived at 116th Street, I could tell I was going to be very early for the PUD. So I decided to hit Wild Oats now, and get my cereal and cashews.

It was a short trip to the PUD, and I took the scenic route around the old neighborhood. Some guy checking his mail waved at me, I have no idea who he is, but I gave him a nod.

I knew when I pulled out the drive way, I knew I should have left earlier than I did. I took Westfield Boulevard to 99th Street, and then to Keystone, and 465. I needed to peel off at 56th Street to make a deposit at the bank. While cruising up the exit ramp, the wet stuff began to fall. It was light, and hardly worth noting.

I made my drop at the bank, and headed back south and west to home. Not only did the rain pick up, but I got behind every person who didn't want to get through any light!! Gee, with gas at $3.45 a gallon, I am surprised that anyone still stops at lights!

I used Post Road, 21st Street, Franklin, and Tenth Streets to return home. So those Sunny, Blue Skies that I had spied out of the face shield had betrayed me and gone gray and leaking rain. Well, a bad day, even just the ending, of riding still beats anything else!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back in the Saddle, and the Gravel, and the Rain, Again.

Less About the Riding