Caught on Tape

Friday, April 18th, 2009




With an hour long drive to cross town and then get fairly west of Indianapolis to Kasey's house in Danville, Indiana, I was up early and getting ready for what should be an interesting day. The air was still chilly, at least according to the number on the thermometer. It was still sitting in the forties. Usually I would slide on my rain pants to help keep my legs warm. I was nestled in my leather jacket, and already had in my mind to use my heavy winter gloves.

As I broke out into the morning air,I was surprised how not cold I was. I didn't even don the rain pants. I was actually quite comfortable, and the sun was going to raise the temperature quickly. As I passed the zoo, I saw an elephant perched up on the hill. It is one of those moments that makes you wonder what she is thinking as the traffic goes by. When I got through town, and out in the little part of country before Danville, the mercury was up into the fifties.

I had my video camera packed in the trunk of the bike, as today would be a test ride. As I cruised along some good, scenic, curvy roads, Kasey would be in the seat behind me running my video camera. I promise that I will put part of the video here on this blog entry. I need t review and edit it.

So after a brief lesson on shooting video, we mounted The Pearl, and headed out of Danville on a familiar route, Cartersburg Road. Sometimes work can be so tough, having to ride along a twisty road, and also direct a new camera operator. I figured I would be able to take the stress of the day.

This "research" is to find out several things. If it would even be watchable video shot from the back of the bike, if Kasey could shoot it, and what setting I want on the camera.

At US 40 we had a little discussion, then headed off west to get on SR 39. We headed south on this state road. We went over I-70 and headed into Monrovia, Indiana. There was a lot of construction going on, and some workers noticed and waved, and others just ignored the moving camera rig.

South of Monrovia, the road gets twisty and scenic, plenty of thing to shoot. We were both learning things about shooting video from the bike. Me telling Kasey what direction we are turning was a help, as being on the inside shoulder of a turn seemed more pleasing.

We arrived at Robb Hill Road, a favorite of mine, and headed east. It was a little bittersweet to get excited about the ride, I love the road, but this time of year, with everything brown, just was hard to get over. Soon the trees would be filled with green. At the end of Robb Hill, we pulled into the gas station, and took a break. This time the station was open and selling gas.

I viewed the footage, about 30 minutes worth so far, and decided we had enough to draw some conclusion. The camera was put away, and we headed out for lunch. We headed south down SR 67, and into Martinsville, Indiana. After cruising through town, we arrived at Sgt. Pepper Chicken. It was a nice meal, and I had been hungry for fried chicken.

After lunch, we went back through town, and then out on a country road called Blue Bluff. It was a nice road. I had been on it before going the other direction.

Before it was headed off by SR 67, we turned east, and meandered to Centenary Road, and then across SR 44 to Mann Road. We took a detour at Thompson Road, and went past her friend's house.

A gas stop along SR 67, we headed north and east. We turned straight north, and made our way back to US 40. We headed west along The National Road through Plainfield, Indiana and out to SR 39. Some good curves and a trek through some farm country would lead us back into Danville, Indiana.

After a break to review the video through the camera, which turned out very well, I would be ready to go on two more ride this day.


Second Ride of the Day




The afternoon was moving along, and when Kasey's kids arrived home, they were already deep in argument over who would be the first to ride the motorcycle. Kasey and I had already decided that Rose would get a ride around the area, and Will would ride with me over to my house.

With that discussion settled, Rose and I headed out east on US 36 to the edge of town. We veered onto county road under a scenic old bridge. The road would turn south and we would cruise past quarry. Another turn would lead us heading west. We turned at Cartersburg Road, heading south. Before getting to US 40, we turned west again on a County Road.

SR 39 would be the next turn, and we would head north. Sure, it was a section that I was just on with Kasey, but it is a nice ride to get back to Danville.


Third Ride of the Day




Afternoon was growing into evening, and it was time to head over to the other side of town for a cook out. Will suited up, and climbed aboard, and we headed east on US 36.

Construction traffic backed up the road near 465. We made our way through, and then back to US 40, Washington Street in town. Just like this morning, we spied an elephant up on the hill as we passed The Indianapolis Zoo. Judging from the tusks, it was not the same as this morning.

We continued on Washington Street until we got the edge of town, and turned on my street and headed for home, pulling the bike into the garage.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less About the Riding

Riding with Veterans