2009 Soup Run: Day 1: Reading, Riding, and Eating

Friday, May 29, 2009



It is the end of May for another year, and for those of you who have followed my odysseys for a while, know that is Soup Run Time. The rest of you have probably gotten the idea from the title.

This is the fifth Soup Run in a row that I would be attending, and I was really looking forward to it. In the past I had invited others to come along and enjoy the fun I had been enjoying, oh yeah, and the soup too, but few rarely came. Once I was on the road, however, I did enjoy the ride. The first year, I just rode straight up to Fond Du Lac, Wisconsin, a little over 400 miles for the day. The second year, I made a real trip of it, going north through Michigan, reaching Mackinaw the first day (515 Miles), then across the bridge, and up to Lake Superior, then through Green Bay and on to Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin for the night. Day 3 was an early morning trip around Door County, the thumb of Wisconsin, and then to get soup. 1240 miles to just get there. My third and fourth years was up to Kenosha, Wisconsin as home base, my third trip, I did have company, another couple.

So was I going to have a huge group for my fifth running? Nah, just my brother and his wife, and of course my new riding partner, Kasey. But here it is, Friday Morning, and I find myself kissing her good-bye, and mounting up on The Pearl, to head out for the Soup Run. What happened? Thursday was the last day of school, and her daughter spent it, I am sure, hugging friends so long for the summer. One friend in particular has parents that don't rid their daughter of Head Lice, and sure enough, she got them bugs in her hair. Since no one would take her for the weekend with cooties, I was headed out alone once more.

I started out north on SR 39 out of Danville, Indiana. Eventually, I would wind myself through farm country to Thorntown. Then it would be SR 47 east to US 52. I headed north and west into Lafayette, Indiana. It was approaching noon, and time for lunch.

Did I mention that I was meeting someone to ride with me in Lafayette? After all that talk, you didn't think I was going to end alone, did you? My brother was still going to go, wasn't sure if his wife was still going, without Kasey, she would be the only gal for the ride. As I pulled into Christo's Parking Lot, I saw two helmets perched upon my brother's bike, and I knew it would be a trio for the ride.

Lunch was fantastic, as it always is at Christo's, this was my third time to eat at this place. We headed out of Lafaytette on US 52, heading north and west toward Illinois.

After Fowler, Indiana, we enter a part of Indiana that is kind of surreal. This is the where many of the Hoosier State's Windmill Farms are. It is like driving through Holland in the future. Huge blade cut up the scenery, flowing in the wind, making power for you and I. US 52 joins 41, and then takes us into Illinois. It is not long before we are on Illinois State Road 1, heading north. A few jogs in the road, and we are in Aroma Park, south and east of Kankakee, Illinois.


A look at Aroma Park, from the Gas Station.


My brother, Kevin, taking a break at the first gas stop.


Downtown Aroma Park, what a metropolis!

We made our way on county roads through town, and into Kankakee. North of town is a real nice river drive. It didn't disappoint once again. I am always amazed for a trip I only take once year, that I remember so much. I have taken this part of the route for the last three years. Last year, I had to duck into one of the hunting shelters to change into rain gear.

We spent most of this leg heading north on SR 47. All of this to avoid going through Chicago. We made another stop, not sure of the town name, but it said Yorktown on the water tower.

A view from the gas station


Yeah, we are bit from Chi-Town, I would say.


Virginia, my Sister-In-Law, taking a break.

Back on SR 47 and heading north. We were still not into the land of cheese, and of course soup. The day was growing longer, and it was looking like after checking to the hotel, dinner would be too late. Virginia, the only woman on the ride, suggested we stop for eat, and as the only woman on the ride, she is the boss.

We pulled into the town of Woodstock. I was looking for the field of the famous concert. I saw fields, but nothing that looked like hallowed ground. After cruising through the berg, I saw a place to eat on the north edge of town. Isabel's was the name, and the place didn't look like much, so I knew the food was going to be good.

We parked the bikes, and headed inside. I was ready for a bathroom break. Upon returning to the table, Virginia assured me that I had done it again, and picked a spot out in the middle of no where, that was going to provide and good meal. There was certainly a lot to choose from! Besides the regular menu, small type, three pages long, and quite extensive, but there were at least six other hand written pages of inserts. If you can't find something you like here, you are most likely starving, because they had everything!

After much debate, and consideration, we each choose our meals, received them, and enjoyed them. Virginia was right, somehow, someway, I had discovered a good place to eat. In fat, we agreed it was worth a motorcycle trip to return and eat again!


Another shot of Isabel's, and about the greenest Jeep I have ever seen.


If you are in Woodstock, Illinois, don't miss this sign!


Virginia climbs back on board after a great meal at Isabel's.

From Isabel's it was a short trip up the road to fuel up the motorcycles too. Then back on the road. It would be SR 47 again until we got to the boarder, then in Wisconsin, the road changes to SR 120.

At lake shore drive, it veers to the east, but we kept north, and pulled into Lake Geneva. This is a very pretty sight, and sometime I will stop and take pictures. This time would have been close to a good time, a little later, and the sun would have been setting on the lake. That would make a good picture. I have thought about over-nighting in this town, but it is a lake resort area, with prices to match.

After passing through town, and arriving on the north side, we picked up SR 12, and headed north and west again. Near La Grange, 12 heads due west, we kept heading north, this time on SR 67. This road also bends slightly back to the east, and toward Waukesha. Before it makes its way too far east, it turns into SR 59.

I thought we were in for some real scenery when I saw a road that was X-Rated. But I soon came to realize that it was County Road X. Still, it was not a disappointing way to make our way into town. I followed the pink line on the GPS, and made it to the hotel, once we found the entrance.

I will have more on the hotel with tomorrow's report, but the lobby and room was

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less About the Riding

Riding with Veterans