2009 Soup Run: Day 2: Soups On!

Saturday, May 30, 2009



Before we hit the road, I took a few pictures...

Morning, Day Two, bikes parked at the Super 8.


My brother has the Road Runner on his bike, but is always following me?


Wile E loves the Soup Run! He is hoping for Road Runner Stew this year.


The outside of a very nice Super 8 hotel.


An Artsy shot I tried.

Last evening when we showed up at the Super 8 in Waukesha, I had mentioned I was impressed. Well the impression continued in the morning. The large, clean and nicely appointed lobby was also the host room for breakfast. Besides the normal free breakfast items, cereals, muffins, bread and a toaster, and coffee and Orange Juice, there was one of those waffle making machines, and biscuits and gravy. It was a very nice breakfast that I restrained myself from, saving room for soup.

I packed up my stuff, made a double check of the room, and headed out to clean up the bike. It was a little cool this morning, but looking like a beautiful day to ride.

We started out getting gas before heading out of town, and hitting a few county roads. Before long, we were on the Kettle Moraine Scenic Drive, which we would stay on for most of the trip. It was a nice mix of little towns, wooded lanes, and wide open farm land. We were seeing all of what Wisconsin had to offer.

After winding through the scenery, we pulled into the little town of Dundee, Wisconsin. This is the third year I had stopped in this little town. It has a house that was re-built on ABC's Extreme Home Make Over. We took a brief break, and relaxed for a few.

From Dundee, it was a short thirty minute trip to Mr. Soup's Home. I have a nice little back way to get in, cruising through the hills and dells of Wisconsin near Lake Winnebago. At one point, you can see the water, it was white capping, and looked cold!

We arrived on Mr. Soup's Street. It was not very long before I could see kids directing traffic, and the bikes parked along the street. Mind you, the start time is at noon. It was about five minutes past. I have gotten here before at five minutes past. I have parked in his driveway, or in front of his house when arriving only a few minutes after noon. Not this time. There looked to be enough bikes already here than the total of the first year I came here for soup, five years ago.

It didn't take long to find out that riders began arriving shortly after ten in the morning! It had become like a garage sale, no one pays attention to the actual start time.

Needless to say, there was a line for the food, and of course, later, there would be other lines forming, for the bathroom.


A view from the seat of my VTX, parked at the Soup Run.


A view of the festivities.


On lookers, there is a lot of window shopping at the Soup Run.


The bike line, from the Driveway.


Bikes and Traffic near the Soup Run.


Believe or not, it is a VTX, there were a few bikes that you had to look to see what it started life as.


Not my brother's Concours, but there was another one there. There were more VTX's than just two, btw.


Now that is a row of bikes! It was a long walk, believe me!


Russian made Ural with a side car, you see about one of these at every rally.


More Soup Eaters, including Mr. Soup's Son, on the left.


Mr. Soup is in the back, on the right, looking over a Royal Star Venture.


You see about everything at the Soup Run, young, old, and classic.


A view of the al fresco dinning at the Soup Run.


Kevin and Virginia relaxing, letting the soup settle before the trip to the next hotel.


Mr. and Mrs. Soup know how to through a party, and decorate a tree knot!

For me, it was a typical Soup Run, only a lot bigger than ever. I saw a lot of faces I had seen before, but saw a lot of new faces. There were people that I know I had talked to in years past, we smiled as we glanced at one another. There were others that we exchanged a hello, and some other small talk. After sitting down with my first bowl of soup, I saw Gene, who I had referred to as the "starter wife" guy, as I didn't remember his name any more than he remembered mine. Maybe I should have read my own blog from last year, I probably did list his name!

I chatted with Gene and his wife, and walked the bike line with Gene. It was quite a hike! I would say there had to be close to 300 bikes, parked along one side of the neighborhood street.

My favorite first trip meal is a Brat, wrapped in a bun, and left plain. Then I get some Beer and Cheese Soup, and start by using it as dip for my brat. There is no other taste like it, and I have sate that right off!

After touring the bikes, waiting in line, and using the bathroom, and discovering some other Dream Theater Fans, it was time to say good by, and head for the next hotel.

We were headed to Kenosha this afternoon. We started out by heading into the edge of Fond Du Lac for a refueling of the bikes. Then it was back out into Wisconsin back country. More windmills were seen as they dotted the hills, spinning away at making electricity.

We had been keeping on a schedule of stopping about every sixty miles for a rest stop. Riding after the Soup Run was no exception. A stop here left only about 30 miles from the hotel, but it was time, and also a good time to layer a cool treat on top of that soup.


Big Bend was a little town for a huge name?


Wide shot from the gas stop.


Kevin and Virginia enjoying a snack on our last stop for the day.

As we drew closer to Kenosha, and the Super 8 I had stayed in before, things began to look more and more familiar. One of the places that jars my memory is the Birchwood Grill, a place I had eaten before, and remember riding away satisfied. I mentioned on the CB to Kevin and Virginia, and even though I was game for something new, they were ready to hit it. I have some kind of reputation for picking good eating spots, I should be a food critic!

As before, the Grill did not disappoint, but when you have a salad bar the size of a semi trailer, that would be hard. Virginia was happy they had snow peas, I guess they are not a staple in most salad bars. Our waiter was great also. Good food, good service, makes me nervous, as I know I need to leave a good tip!

It was a short trip back to hotel, and the bikes, as well as ourselves were parked for the night's sleep.

Not only this being my fifth Soup Run, but with the size of the Soup Run this year, I thought it begged some reflection. I remember being kind of wide eyed, and not having any idea what to expect for my first Soup Run. I made myself available for chat, and met many new friends, and some great conversations.

My second run I arrived a little bit of a celebrity. Beside taking a 1240 mile odyssey to get there, I was also arriving with a Car Tire mounted on the back of my bike.

My third run was a return to the shorter trip, making a three day vacation. I had another couple with me. I didn't have the celebrity, but did arrive in a driving rain.

My fourth run I found myself traveling alone again. Once I got there, I didn't feel alone, along with re-connecting with other Soup Runners from past years, I met new people like Gene the "starter wife" guy.

My Fifth Soup Run? Well it was great to have company again, in the form of my brother and sister-in-law. Not sure how many miles I have ridden with my brother in the last five years or so, but it is one of those, if I had nickle for every mile kind of things. I would be rich! Of course, I was really looking forward to riding with Kasey on this trip, and I knew that would keep it from being a great trip.

This year the run was huge, probably too huge! I couldn't believe the amount of people who came, ate, and ran. Some, Mr. Soup knew that was there plan. Many, he didn't even know. It appears his little event has drawn attention, and guests that he doesn't even know. This obviously had taken a toll on him and his resources. When I left, he was questioning whether there would be a tenth Soup Run. I hope he does, but he may need to change a few things. I have already warned him, official Soup Run or not, Kasey will be forcing me to ride up with her, so she can get some soup!

Comments

Mr. Soup said…
Rodney, I always enjoy reading your Soup Run reports. Thanks for coming up and sharing the afternoon with us. It is ALWAYS good to see you! rob
Unknown said…
Thanks Rob! I always enjoy eating your soup(s), brats and burgers. It is a short trip for such tasty food!
Have great and safe summer full of riding!!

Popular posts from this blog

Less About the Riding

Riding with Veterans