I would Steak my reputation on this ride.

Saturday, August 22, 2009


There are some rides that I just don't know if they will be good rides or not. Then there are others that I just know I need to get somewhere, so it will not be a great ride. I am usually surprised. Either that, or I am able to find something that made it a good ride. Then again, any day of riding is better than many good days doing something else.

This ride will take us to a place I have been wanting to go for some time. I needed to plan a good route to get to the dinner table, as I knew the meal placed upon that table would be a great one!

We met at the Avon Shell, located at SR 267 and US 36. Kasey and I had come from her home in Danville, Indiana. I was looking for my brother to show, but he was busy with something that might make him not available. In his stead, Jim "easyrider" and my father showed up. Another small group, which means there are a lot of people who don't know what they are missing.

Another unique part of this ride was the start time. Usually the rides start mid-morning, and we break up the day with lunch. Today, we were meeting at two in the afternoon to make a dinner ride. From the meeting spot, we could head south on SR 267 to SR 67, and then into town for dinner, about an hour long trip, at the longest. Stop doing the math, you know I have a plan to take three hours or so to get there!

We did start out heading south on SR 267, but veered west, and made our way around some of Hendricks County's best roads through farms and the country side. We cruised along SR 39 through Clayton, Indiana, and drove towards the setting sun once again.

We crossed SR 75, and continued west until we turned south to pass through the small town of Fillmore. We arrived at SR 240, and made our way into Greencastle, Indiana. We skirted the edge of town, staying east and south of the main town.

After seeing a small covered bridge on the south edge of Greencastle, we made our way south on SR 231. After crossing US 40 and I-70, we drove through the town of Cloverdale, Indiana. South of town, another turn was in order, as it was time to head back east.

SR 42 is mostly straight along here, but has a few 90 degree turns to keep you awake. At Eminence, Indiana, we are headed north, through the area where dad has his accident, we took it very cautiously, and we turned east on SR 142. More straight road, but it gets more fun at the end of this run. It also features another accident site, from the rally poker run. The strip of gravel is gone, paved over now.

We stop at where SR 142 ends, and crosses SR 39. Another road that would have been a shortcut. We went straight and joined Robb Hill Road. One of my favorite roads, and one that has also become one of Kasey's favorite roads. We made our way through the curvy, tree lined road that I always wish went on for many more miles.

Sadly, Robb Hill ends far too soon. We crossed SR 67, and then headed south on a back country road that parallels the state highway. Besides not being two lanes of super slab, it has much better views. A slower pace is also a good thing. The longer it takes to get somewhere, the longer I am riding!

We arrive in Martinsville, Indiana from the north side, and after cruising through town, we arrive at the institution I spoke of: Bynum's Steakhouse. They were just opening, so we got great parking, and right into a table.

I guess I don;t have to mention that we had steak for dinner, potatoes too! I am guessing too, that Kevin's business had become an all day affair, as he was a no show.

With the late starting time, and the fact that we were sitting down to dinner, you might think that was all of the ride. You should know better by now!

We fueled the bikes, and headed east on SR 252. The sun was still fairly high in the sky over our shoulders. We made our way into Morgantown, Indiana. This is another city I have passed through many times, but not stopped to partake in its culinary wares.

From Morgantown, we made our way along an Indiana staple of good roads, SR 135. After passing through Trafalger, and arriving in Bargersville, we made a turn to the east on SR 44.

This road winds it way east and north into the town of Franklin, Indiana. We stayed on SR 44 through the college town, and then where it veers, we went straight north out of town, and onto some Johnson County Roads. Eventually, we arrive on Franklin Road. This leads up along the east side of Indianapolis.

Upon arriving at where Franklin Road Crosses Washington Street, or US 40, we made our way west. Jim "easyrider" continued north, and my father took the ramp to 465. Kasey and I continued to my house.

I would like to say that it is not often I find a ride to sink your teeth into, but geez, I usually find a good place to eat on every ride I go on!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back in the Saddle, and the Gravel, and the Rain, Again.

Less About the Riding