If You Are Coming to GOE, Be Prepared to Turn!

Saturday, April 21st. 2007

This was going to be a busy day, and it would start out cold. I would be changing clothes, and gloves all day! It was in the upper forties as we packed up the bikes. The first run of the day would be The Ralph Barnard Memorial Poker Run. We would both run on this ride, but before we go, we need a little breakfast!!

There was a Bob Evans on the other side of the highway, it was just we had to figure out how to get over there!! We were in luck, as we made it straight to it, under the highway, and via the frontage roads. After fueling up, we were ready to go!

We started out at the host hotel in Mineral Wells, West Virginia. I wanted to mount the video camera, and try to capture the ride on video. We pulled out of the hotel, and the first leg would be north on I-77. It would be a short trip, and we would exit to SR 47, heading east.

I wasn't to worried about State Roads being in bad shape, but wasn't sure what we might run into on some of the other back roads.

After being on 47 for a little while, we turned left on to County Road 26, it seemed in good shape, at first. The road narrowed but stayed fairly smooth. There were lots of twists and turns, and it will be a completely different ride in a few months, when the tress have leaves. After traveling through the back woods, we jog on to US 50 for short trip, then back on to County Roads.

We use County Road 50/13 and 3/16 to get to State Road 31. After a couple more County Roads, we arrive at State Road 2. This road runs along the Ohio River, and a nuclear power plant! It was letting off a lot of steam today. At Saint Mary's I had planned for a stop. I thought the local library may have a nice big parking lot, but no. We found a gas station, that has a coffee shop next door, and it's lot was big and empty. We weren't bothered when we pulled in, but we may also use the McDonald's across the street for a card draw.

After a brief break, and I reviewed some of the tape that I had shot, we headed back out, and over a bridge to the Ohio Side of the river. The bridge was being worked on, but even down to one lane, it was not very busy, and will probably be less so on the Thursday we ride the Poker Run.

In Ohio, we would take State Road 7 along the river. In a town called Fly, we headed north on State Road 800. This was another road that we have discovered has very few straight sections! Those who like twisties, I think this will be the twistiest Poker Run ever!! 800 leads us up to our next Card Draw Stop, and Fuel Stop. Not a big town, and the gas station is even smaller! Woodsfield was the name, and it is on 800, where it crosses State Road 78.

We would return back down 800, just for a short stretch, until we would veer off onto State Road 26, this would lead us through Wayne State National Forest, and as luck would have it, along a Covered Bridge route! There are few options to get off of this road, and it eventually returns us to Marietta, Ohio, where we will draw the last card during the ride. Then final card will come at the hotel.

Not to many options for getting back over the Ohio River, so it is Interstate back to the Hotel. 135 Miles of a lot of fun!! Can't wait to ride it again in June!

But that was just the morning, and early afternoon ride!!

After gassing up, both the bikes, and ourselves at the local Dairy Queen, we headed our separate ways. I was headed to Hocking Hills, a state park I had heard about, my brother was heading to Hawk's Nest and the New River Gorge Bridge.

I had to meander through town, and cross the river. I would take Highway 618 out of town, but not for long. I would be veering off on Highway 555. This was a great road!! Relentless with curves of all kinds, sweepers, tight ones, uphill, downhill, before hills, after hills! And the scenery was equally good. I think this will be a most enjoyable ride!!

After that great stint, I would head west on Highway 78. Not as tight as 555, but some nice sweepers, and some great views, with some overlooks, too.

13 Joins up with 78, and took me into the town of Glouster, Ohio. They have a good sized Marathon, and a Dairy Queen at the end of town, might have to make that the lunch stop!!

I continue on Highway 78, heading west until I got to State Road 216, which I would take northwest to Straitsville. I would exchange 216 for 93 there. The roads are still nice and curvey along this route.

I found a rough back road to get over to 664, but I think I will find a better route, and avoid that little road called Mays I was on. This would lead me to Hocking Hills State Park. It was a nice drive through, but not much compared to Highway 555!! State Road 374 would take me south through the park, then I would begin my journey back east on State Road 56.

Eventually I would be in Athens, home of the Olympic Games? Okay, so this Athens is the home to Ohio University. It was a pretty, college town, though.

The rest of the trip was on 618 back across the River, then SR 14 to the Host Hotel. I would take I-77 back up to the Red Roof Inn.

My brother was on a longer trip, and I knew it would be a while until he returned. I had dinner, called Nina, and settled in with my laptop.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less About the Riding

Riding with Veterans