Back to a Charity Ride

Sunday, June 29th, 2008

Well, I don't think I have done a Charity Ride since I started this blog? I am over 200 posts, so I can't remember them all. I think these rides are a great way to get people out and to raise money, but they are usually not for me. Lots of bikes, with lots of inexperienced riders, riding in mass, usually to a bar, where many have a few beers before hopping back on the bike. I do not ever drink and ride.

But yesterday, I got a text message from Shelly, friend and fellow VTX Rider. She was riding in a Charity Ride, and that end, her son's band, River County, was performing. I figured what the heck. I had been using the bike for more utility than anything else, and it would be nice to have a ride where I was just part of the pack.

So, Sunday Morning, I started out, heading to Shelly's house. I headed west on Washington, then south on Arlington to Thompson Road. The GPS took me right to her house.

After waiting for Shelly to get ready, get on her bike, then get ready again, then back on the bike a few times, we took off, with my eyes already tired from all the rolling.

We were heading to meet her mom at SR 37 and SR 144, near Martinsville, Indiana. We meandered our they. I was following, so I am not sure how we got there. Shelly filled her tank, and her mom arrived while we were waiting.

Shelly, came out of the gas station, and asked me if I knew where we going, and where the Eagles Club was. I had no idea, so after she made a phone call, we took off heading west on SR 144, knowing we were going to have to take a detour for a bridge washed away in the flooding.

After a brief stint on SR 67, we turned, and arrived at the Eagles in short order.

We registered, and waited for the ride to take off. I found out that River County was not playing until 7pm, and I doubted I would stick around that long. With no meeting before, or a very small one, we took off, about 50 bikes strong.

We headed down SR 67, with road guards, and turned on to Robb Hill Road. After that tree lined, curvy road, the slowest I have ever ridden the road by the way, we continued on to SR 144. After quite a bit, we veered off to come County Roads.

After cruising through farmland, we arrived a Lewiston, Indiana. We continued on to more County Roads, before arriving on SR 42, and headed west. We turned north on SR 231, and after pulling into town, we stopped, at guess what? A Bar. We stayed for a quite a bit, and several beers were downed. Oh yeah, it was also enough time for a guy to top off the oil in his Harley. Sorry, had to mention it, was one of those Mastercard Priceless moments.

Finally, we mounted up, to head back. Shelly's friend and roommate, Andy, was also along with us, and he got a new riding partner, because the gal was uncomfortable on her husband's ride. I saw them talking quite a bit while they rode.

We continued on SR 231 north under I-70, and then eastbound on US 40. We veered off on a couple county roads, part of the way on SR 39, and then eventually arrived back in Moresville, and the Eagles Club.

We waited for lunch, or dinner, or what ever it was supposed to be, then hung around for a while. I was getting antsy, and decided to head for home.

I headed north on SR 67, I had some company, in the form of sport bikers that were on the ride. They took the ramp to 465, I headed more north to Raymond Street.

I headed east on Raymond, and then took Shelby Street north to Pleasant Run Parkway. I followed the Parkway through town, and eventually arrived at Washington Street. I was getting on in miles on this tank of gas, so I pulled into the gas station, and filled up before I rode home, and parked The Black Pearl for the evening.

So it had been a while since I had down a Charity Ride, and I came out of it unscathed, but they are still just not for me. Just take my donation, I will find my own roads.

Comments

Anonymous said…
So what irratated you most ---- waiting on Shelly or riding in that group??

Al
Unknown said…
It is hard to be irritated when you are riding! I had fun, just not the thing I would do every weekend!

Popular posts from this blog

Less About the Riding

Riding with Veterans