Soup Run 2008: The Trip Home

Sunday, June 1st, 2008

Well it is Sunday, the Soup has cooled, and is probably in storage. I am sure they ration out the left over through the year. It was time to get up, hit the road for downtown Kenosha to make a second appearance at a new tradition. Franks Diner, the longest continuing running dining car eater in the country was a place we had breakfast last year on Sunday Morning, and I am continuing the new tradition.

The Black Pearl out front of Frnak's




While waiting for my food, I struck up a conversation with a couple sitting next to me. They were regulars and very nice. All I got was a last name, Anderson. I eventually filled the empty seat in between us, and let another couple have a seat at the bar.

I had a HALF Garbage plate and wheat toast




From Frank's it was time to make my trip to the Mars Cheese Castle. After dropping 40 bucks for some Wisconsin Cheese, I headed back to the hotel one last time.

I headed back west on SR-50. I was making tracks to get way out from Chicago. It takes a few more miles, but this is a much better trip! I thought my waving hand was going to fall off, I saw so many bikes out today!

I headed south at Lake Geneva, and ended up on SR 47 in Illinois. This route is also simpler to follow, fewer roads to contend with. SR 47 leads right to SR 113, and then into Coal City, IL. This was my first gas stop, about 120 miles out.

I would ride SR 113 until it crossed US 52, which would be my road back to home, or at least the PUD. My next gas stop was in Lafayette, IN. I called my parents to tell them their cheese was on the way. I took off back down US 52, looking at a dark cloud moving my direction.

I blazed down that road, looking off to the west most of the time. The rain curtain was very defined, and there was a lot of rain! I didn't want to get wet, and I didn't want to stop, so I pushed on. When I got to I-65, I could see in my mirrors that the rain was washing down the road I just traveled.

I arrived at the PUD, unloaded the cheese, and was told a pizza was on the way. So I guess I was hanging around for dinner. While the pizza was eaten, it did rain, but nothing like I almost got caught in. I gave it time to pass over the east side, and headed for home. I rounded the city on the beltway. I was glad to be home.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Franks Diner was on an episode of "Diners, DRive-Ins and Dives" on the Food Channel.


Al
Anonymous said…
Yes it was! I almost stopped at the XXX Root Beer in Lafayette, IN on the way home, it has also been on the show!

Rodney

Popular posts from this blog

Less About the Riding

Riding with Veterans