Motorcyclepooling

Thursday, October 5th, 2006

When the gas prices were soaring, and they might yet again, you would hear people talking about car pooling, but no one has ever talked about motorcyclepooling. I guess between the fact that you can only get one other person on the bike, and the inherent dangers of motorcycling, there just isn't much interest. Today, coupled with the fact that Nina is going to pick up her new car, and that I have a Cruiser Club Meeting, we ended up motorcyclepooling to work.

It was going to be a crisp day all day long, and that starts with the morning before the light of day has even stricken. Once again, I must admit to thinking that it would be a much better day with another hour, but time is something the state of Indiana will not get a good grasp on, I'm afraid. The thermometer was hanging in the middle fifties, and without any sunlight, it would feel chillier than any wind chill could do. We took off on the usual route. At Delaware, I would keep on heading west on Washington Street, and continue until we were over the White River, and past the Indianapolis Zoo Parking Lot. The administration building lay just ahead, and we would need to first stop there for Nina to clock in, and get her two way radio.

When she returned, we rode through the parking lot, and I dropped her off at the Horticulture Offices. I would return onto Washington Street, which would split into Maryland, and One Way heading East. I always get stopped at the light near Victory Field. I proceeded to Illinois Street, which I took north to 14th, and cut across Meridian Street to pull into the parking lot via the back gate.

A normal Thursday went off without a hitch, and I was able get out he door in time to reach the zoo just before Nina would be able to clock out. I took a short jog on 14th Street to Meridian, and south to 11th Street. It would "T" at Capitol, which I took south until, well, the capital. Another "T" in the road would turn my West until West Street, the border of IUPUI. I jogged south to Washington, and then continued west until the zoo parking lot.

I had to wait for a few minutes until Nina popped out the steel doors, which gave me time to program a trip into the GPS consisting of Autohaus Merkle, and McGilvery's. I knew how much time we could spend looking and buying the car.

After returning her two way, and pulling out of the parking lot, we went west on Washington Street, squaring around the zoo's corner, and heading up River Road. We would again veer to the west on Michigan Street. It would be a few miles, but eventually we would end up at the foreign car repair shop were her last Cabriolet spent some time in the "ER", and finally was sent to the morgue. The newer she planned to buy sat in the garage. This one was black also, but nine years junior, as it was a 1995 model. As with most cars, things changed a lot in that decade of time. Besides sleeker looks, it boasted a much improved stereo, bigger engine, and other amenities like power locks and windows. The top actually was easy to operate, and sealed out the air.

After the deal was done, but Nina didn't pay, as she didn't have the charge card she was going to put it on, we headed out for McGilvery's. It was short trip that saw us working our way up to Crawfordsville Road, then to High School Road.

The sun was setting, and it was going to be another cool one, so we headed out. We stayed together going up High School Road to 38th Street, but Nina lost me in the traffic on 38th Street. This would have been another good time to put the extra CB in her car, at least she could have talked to me. I continued slowly on I-65 to I-70, but she never caught me. At 465 I ramped to the south, and then to Washington Street.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less About the Riding

Riding with Veterans