It's BRIDGEton Again!

Sunday, October 1, 2006

The weather had put damper on riding for several days, plus work on the house. Sunday I was determined to ride to Shapiro's for Breakfast, and from there, head to Bridgeton. Seventeen months ago, someone poured 10 gallons of gas on the covered structure built 140 years ago, and set it afire. All that remained were some steaming piles of timbers in Big Racoon Creek.

I had to run a couple of errands on my way to Shapiro's Deli, so I took a different route. I went west on tenth street until Arlington which I took south. I turned west on Pleasant Run, which soon becomes Michigan Street, a one way street through downtown Indianapolis. I veered south west on Massachusetts Avenue, and eventually connected to Pennsylvania Street. I took Penn south to McCarty, which runs right past Shapiro's.

After breakfast, we got up early, and four of us, Wade, Carl, Dave and I headed west for Bridgeton and Newport. We started on I-70 to I-465 on the west side of town. We headed north to US 36 or Rockville Road. Several lights would keep us from getting to far to fast, but once through Danville, we cruised on the two lane road.

We stopped in Rockville at a gas station, and I headed to Bridgeton, while the others headed to Newport, for their antique automobile hill climb.

Bridgeton Road from Rockville is a great twisty road in out of woods. You pull into town from the north, and the view of the Bridge, yes I said Bridge, it perfect. At the end of August, it was still an empty space, today, little more than a month from the structure being set, the bright red bridge glistened in the mid-afternoon sun.



One of the few places that you can see the waterfall, the mill, and the covered bridge all in one shot.

I spent about 20 minutes talking to Mike Roe, the Mill Owner, and then departed for Newport, to hopefully have lunch with the other riders. I went back up Bridgeton Road, and onto US 36. I headed further west to SR 63. I went north on this two lane divided highway for about six miles before I hit the traffic, waiting to park. Apparently, the crowd was either overwhelming, or they were not prepared. For the next 45 minutes, I would creep along, into Newport, and then back out again. I was to meet the others at 12:30, but I made it to the parking area at 1:00!

It was too late hang out for very long, so I headed back to Bridgeton. I had some traffic for a few minutes, but once I was back on SR 63, I was able to get moving. I returned to Bridgeton the way that I had came. I parked the bike in the mill lot. I decided to get one of those world famous cheeseburgers that Mike's wife grills up in a little place next to the mill. I would be parked for a while, as the Ribbon Cutting would not be until 3pm.

After the festivities, I headed east to SR 59, then south to Brazil, Indiana. I filled up with fuel, and took the National Road, US 40, until Indianapolis. I strolled through town, continuing on US 40, which is also Washington Street.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back in the Saddle, and the Gravel, and the Rain, Again.

Less About the Riding