An Appreciative Riding Partner

Friday, August 22, 2008




August is always a month that you never know what you will get. Trust me, my birthday has been in August well, ever since I was born. During my many celebrations, I have tried to have many different parties. When I had a party indoors, it was sunny and 85. When I had a pool party, it was cloudy and 68 degrees. Then, I will add the four years in a row that I went to Holiday World, the highest temperature of the four trips, 72 degrees! For this Leo, I just can't win. I blame my mom, it rains on her birthday every year, so it must be genetic!

Well, this Friday in late August was going to be a good day, I could feel it when I woke up. First off, I knew I was going for a ride. Secondly, I was meeting a new riding partner. This was not our first meeting. We had met for lunch about a week and a half ago. In my quest to play it cool, I ended up playing so cool, she didn't think I was interested. After 10 days or so of Instant Messaging I think I had convinced her otherwise, but I knew I had to show it.

I must admit that the morning ride across town was not relieving my nerves. It wasn't meeting her again, or even knowing that she would be spending a big part of the day on the back of The Pearl. When we had scheduled this second date, I felt compelled to bring flowers. Our first plan was to have us meet on the square in Danville, Indiana. She would leave her car, and we would go for a ride. I knew live flowers would perish in the August heat and sun that seems to come every other day in August but on my birthday. So I came with a plan to buy a plush flower, made of material, and stuffed with poly fiber. But the night before, the plan changed, I was now meeting her at her house. I could have brought real flowers, she could have taken them in the house. But I had to leave my house before any good flower show would be open, so it was the plush flowers or nothing. I debated what would make the bigger heal.

On the west side of town, I veered to the right onto Rockville Road. Traffic was light the direction I was going, out of town. After crossing 465, the road is better known as US 36. This state highway divides Avon, Indiana, and leads into Danville, Indiana. The GPS seemed as confused as I was, trying to make go the wrong way on one streets. The flower debate still playing in my head, as I played approaches in my head. Believe me, this debate had been ringing in my head since the change of plans last night. When I go on a motorcycle trip, I don't often sleep the eve of the first day. This was only a day trip, but I didn't sleep all that well last night.

I rolled The Pearl into the gravel driveway, maneuvering it with caution in the gravel. She, Kasey, came out of the house to greet me. It was one of those, I don't want you in my house just yet greetings. We hugged, and exchanged pleasantries. It was do or die time.

"Ok," I started. "Usually, on a date, a guy brings something that is alive. But since we had originally planned on you parking your car on the square, I knew something alive would not make it in your hot car all morning and afternoon." This introduction was met with an odd stare. Apparently my personality didn't come through on the first date, and from her look I was just digging a deeper hole! "So, close your eyes, and hold out your hand." From our previous discussions, I knew her favorite color was blue, so I took a flower out of the saddle bag that had blue pedals. I straightened the stem, another thing that would doom reel flowers, being stuffed into motorcycle luggage, and placed it in her hand. The flower looked to be a daisy, and in the middle was a smiley face. "Ok, open your eyes."

Her eyes opened, her face lit up, then came a chuckle. She looked away from the flower toward me, and invited me to another hug. "The color is all right, isn't it?"

"Yes," She answered.

"Well, since I know you have a daughter, and she might get jealous, I have one for her too." I turned to the saddle bag, and pulled out the other three color choices. I had to buy a dozen, so I had plenty. "I also brought one for your best friend's daughter, the one that picked me out on the website."

I was then allowed to step inside her house, as she wanted to place the flower for her daughter on her bed. Apparently, I have over come the creep factor, and I was ok. I didn't step in very far, just enough to see a montage of photos on the wall of family and friends.

We adjourned back out the bike, and I unlocked and opened the trunk to reveal the helmet I had for her to wear. I explained about the intercom system, and that she could talk to me in a normal voice, and didn't need to yell. She slid the helmet over her head, and tried to attach the strap. After I had suited up, and pulled out the extension communications cord, she had given up, and I put the strap through the double "D" rings, and secured it to her head.

Not only had Kasey ridden on a motorcycle before, but she had actually driven one once upon a time, but to be sure, I asked if she was ready to just hit it, or whether she wanted me to run around the block a couple of times. She was ready hit the road!

We headed south out of town, and eventually linked up with Cartersburg Road. I have been on this road numerous times before, and actually it was part of the route for my birthday. It has some great sweepers, and even a couple of turns that some might call twisties.

It also, like almost every Indiana Road, has it's places that are straight and flat. On one stretch, I decided to let my actions let her know that I liked her. I removed my hand from the left grip, and let drift behind me. I lightly glided it along the outside of her upper leg. I was expecting a scream in my ears, over modulating the intercom system. Maybe even a smack, or a brush off. What played in my ears was a about the fifth time I had heard this phrase from her, "This is Wonderful!" She said, her voice full of content. The previous times this was said was coming out a sweeper, or sharper turn. We were going straight, on road that divided cornfields. Maybe this time it was my hand grazing her jeans clad leg? I then felt her arms wrap around my mid section as she pulled herself closer to me. The moment would end with an impending corner, me slowing the bike, and the helmets knocking together.

After our stint on Cartersburg, we would shift our way to SR 39, and be south of US 40. The moving map on the GPS revealed yet another straight stretch of asphalt. I decided to go for another smoothing of the leg perched behind me. My hand left the grip, and with the winds help, drifted backward. I lowered my hand, not knowing that she had moved her hand, and it was resting on top of her leg. Like I was using the force, or some kind of ESP, my hand dropped, my fingertips hanging down, and landing the base, the place where your fingers web together. I felt her fingers spread, and my slide down in between hers. Her palm lifted slightly, and I was able to curl my fingers around her hand. Wow, we were holding hands for the first time. I don't know if it was that I was mounted on my mighty steed, or just how it seemed how expertly it all happened, but it was comfortable. The warmth would only last a minute longer. Another curve, and both hands needed on the handle bars.

SR 39 winded us around and further south, and to the west of Mooresville, Indiana. We had not yet made it to Martinsville, Indiana. At the intersection where SR 142 turns to Robb Hill Road, we turned left, to take the later route. Robb Hill is a great winding little road. I have ridden this rode just about every month of the year. I have seen the trees bare, green with leaves, then multicolored, with those same leaves now spread on the ground. I have even carved this path with snow littering the ground, just inches from the road.

I had a stop planned at the end of Robb Hill road. We had talked about the ride so far, and I got another two or more, "This is Wonderful" ringing in the headset. The gas station was closed, but I was just looking to give this riding partner a little break from the seat. I parked the bike in the shade, and we had a few sips from the water bottles I had packed on the bike. At least two people pulled up wanting to fuel up, but we had to give them the bad news that the place was not open for business.

She seemed perfectly comfortable, and even seemed like she didn't need the break, but welcomed it anyway. After a couple more sips of water, I helped her with the helmet strap, and we were back on the road. I can't recall all the conversations we had, but the music played would have been drown out by our conversation.

After heading north on the two lane divided highway, SR 67, we crossed the other lanes with a left turn, and headed up Observatory Road. I was hoping to pull into the entrance to she her that indeed there is a Observatory up there, but work was being done on the road. The road is very tree lined, and winds around north and west.

Another road, and we approached Lake Hart. On the map it looked to be a great curvy road around this small lake, and sure enough it was! I have no idea how many turns there were, but it was definitely curvy. I was paying so much attention to the road, I couldn't count the "This is Wonderfuls" that I was paid.

My new riding partner was certainly developing an understanding for why I like path that takes the longest, and is the curviest. In fact, I think she was developing as much of an appreciation for each twist and turn as I have.

We continued west, and eventually hooked back up on Cartersburg Road. Sure we were riding the same road as before, but this time in the opposite direction, so it feels like a different road. Honestly, there are some roads that I could ride up and down all day long. Some roads I love one way, and don't like the other.

We cruised back into Danville, Indiana proceeding to downtown, and then around the square, and into a parking space. It was lunch time, or a little after, and Mayberry Cafe was our destination for the mid day meal.

One thing about a hometown cooking type place like the Mayberry Cafe, you don't have to worry about the food, because anything you order is going to be good. It is also a sit down type place, and in the interest of being like the town it is named after, laid back, and your food comes to you in good time, but there is still a wait. Kasey continued about how wonderful it was to be riding. Mentioning the idea of going for a ride after lunch. I knew I needed to have her back by a certain time, as her kids would be getting off the bus. With each bite, my mind tried to come up with a route that would take just about an hour.

After finishing our meals, we found ourselves waiting at the corner for the light to change, stopping the traffic on Main Street, which is also US 36. I mentioned that we could ride out west on US 36 for 30 minutes, then turn around, and head back. That would get her home around 2 o'clock. There was a pause. One of the pauses that happens between when someone has an idea, and then they articulate. "You know what would be cool?" She asked. I looked over and down at her. "If when my kids get off the bus, they see there mom pull up on a motorcycle."
Now, I was in that moment of pause. "But, that would mean that I would meet your kids?" I returned. In our discussions, we had agreed that it is best to delay meeting the kids.

"Yes, I want you to meet my kids." It was evidence to me that things were moving within her as much as they were in me. The light changed and we crossed the street. There are key moments in a relationship, and we had held hands for the first time on this date. While chatting at the stop at the gas station, I knew the next big moment would be the first kiss. Call me sentimental, but I think that is something you should remember.

We crossed the side street on the west side of the courthouse. We approached the motorcycle, hand and hand. Before we mounted The Black Pearl, I turned, and we hugged. We slowly released, and her head tilted up, as mine tilted down. Her long brown hair framed her face without hiding it. I looked into her brown eyes, they seemed as big as the sun. Slowly, the rest of the world began to disappear. "You know I want to kiss you, don't you?" I asked. I had never done anything like that before.

"Uh huh," I am not sure she even knew that she had said anything.

"Do you want me to kiss you?"

"Uh huh," Whether I was sure or not she knew what she was saying, I went for it anyway. I have a few first kisses myself, but none like this one. It was not awkward, there was no head wiggles, no noses in the way, no bit lips, just one great kiss.

We embraced one more time, then released, grabbed the riding gear, and started suiting up. I threw my leg over the bike, and brought her off the kick stand. Kasey climbed aboard, slid into the seat behind me, and wrapped her arms around me. Nothing happened. "You ok?" She asked through the intercom.

"Yeah, I just need a minute to calm my nerves." After a few seconds, I turned the key, fired the motor, backed out the space, and made my way around the Town Square.

With an eye on the clock, we headed out west on US 36. It is mostly a straight route, but it was a very enjoyable after lunch ride. We made it across, and out to Raccoon Lake. Turned around in the entrance to the state park, and headed back to Danville, Indiana.

As we approached the driveway, we could tell that the kids were already home. As the bike rolled into the gravel, the front door flew open. First was her son. As he stood waiting for her to dismount, her daughter emerged from the home.

After the meetings, it was time for me to turn the motorized beast around, and had back east to my home. I returned on US 36, heading towards the capital city of Indiana. I ran into the construction traffic near 465, and veered south on High School Road to Washington Street to avoid the back up. I would take that east to my street and back home.

Traffic kept my mind occupied for the most part, but I couldn't help to think that I had just been on the best date of my life. Many might say it was all the bike, I think this new riding partner had a lot to do with it. As I pulled up the driveway, I couldn't wait for our next ride, as I know it will be Wonderful!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less About the Riding

Riding with Veterans