Trying Out a New Experience

Monday, August 18, 2008




Okay, first off, the above map is incomplete. I was not leading, and I didn't save tracks for the route.

The part of the route that I do know, I started off heading east on Washington Street, then south on Franklin Road. After a few blocks of riding along 465, I arrived at US 52. I turned to take the road south and east, on my way to Brookville, another name for this road.

I was looking forward to taking SR 229 once again. It was mid afternoon, and after an hour of riding on mostly straight Brookville Road, I would be good a ready for some twisties. I hit the stretch of road, and it seemed like it passed way to quickly. Of course I was observing all the posted speed limits, wink, wink, but I was dying for some bends in the road.

When I arrived on the north side of Batesville, I stopped in to have some dinner under the Golden Arches. Not ever my first choice, sometimes the last resort, I really prefer mom and pop and I have yet to see Mrs. Ronald McDonald. The gal I was meeting had said they had something new and tasty on the menu. In addition to feeding myself, I was to pick up a sandwich for her.

I also had some time to waste before she arrived at home from work, so I ate slowly, and hung out until I was ready to cruise through town, and find her house.

We greeted each other, hopped on the bike, and headed for the same bar that we met for the first time, just over a week ago. Some of the group was already there, and other bikes arrived, surround The Pearl, parked once again across the street.

When the time came to take off, they were serious. The bikes were running and nearly moving before we even got on the bike! Being in a small town, it was a few corners and intersections, and we were out in the Southern Indiana Countryside. We followed many back roads and arrived in Greensburg, Indiana. You always know you are there is you can find the Court House, because a tree grows out of it's spire.

We were back into the country, and eventually arrived in some small town. I have no idea what town it was, but I followed the 6 or 7 bikes in front of me into the only bar in town. It was called Kizer Corner Bar. It was a nice little place. Short on variety, but heavy on personality.

After a few refreshments, I had Iced Tea, we were back on the bikes, and with the sun going down, we were motoring our way back to Benny's in Batesville. We started on SR 3, the first road I recognized, then a short jaunt on I-74, back to Greensburg, then SR 46 into Batesville.

I can't say this was a good ride, or a bad ride. I was really curious as to the experience that the gal had told me. She has said that ladies show up, looking to ride with the guys. However, many of the guys now had wives or girlfriends, so the back seat was off limits. I thought it might be a good idea for Indy to help hook up single guys with bike, and single women who want to ride. The actual route was nice, the leading was a little amiss. If I am going to be out in the sticks riding, and there are no string of curves, I want to cruise and soak up the scenery. They just ran it too fast.

It almost seems like sometimes I try to find a reason to ride, instead of the best reason of all, just to get out and RIDE!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less About the Riding

Riding with Veterans