GOE XVI Day One: Almost Made It Dry

Monday, June 18th, 2012

I have to admit, not going to this annual event last year really just made it a bad riding season over all. I knew pretty early in the year I wasn't going to make it, and with moving myself, and my business, time was a factor in my reduction of riding as well. Somehow though, the season ended with a bald front tire, and a leaking front fork seal. I figured with these discoveries coming in November, I would have the winter to get the bike fixed. Well, real winter never came, and I should have just gotten the parts and got them put on right away, as I would have had several days through the "off season" to make up for lost mileage.

So lets leave last year behind us, and lets start talking about this years Gathering of Eagles.

I had a riding partner with me this time out, actually three of them. No we didn't all cram onto the bike like you see in some those countries with an entire family on two wheels. Rather, I had an alternating 14 year old boy, and an 11 year old girl, while their mom, my favorite riding partner, was in the car behind me.

We headed north out of town on State Road 39. The gentle bends through farmland led us to the town of Lebanon, Indiana. Located along Interstate 65, it is one of the bergs that are continuing to grow along the corridor between Indianapolis and Chicago.

A few jogs in town, and we were on Elizaville Road. It meanders north and east out of town through more Farmland, but is a good road to ride. Not sure how it is to drive behind me, but until Kasey starts her own blog on those travels, we will never know.

Elizaville Road spilled us out on State Road 47. Over my shoulder there is a great stretch of this road that has some great turns in it. Unfortunately, the section before my headlight was not so interesting. Just before it crossed US 31, we stopped at the gas station on the corner. I had some miles on the clock before we started, so I fueled up, and switched riding partners. It was Will's turn on the bike, and Rose's turn in the cage.

State Road 47 ended, and 236th Street picked up. After a nice cruise over Morse Reservoir, and through the town of Cicero, we were on Strawtown Avenue. The road snakes along the White River, and even though we had to make a stop for some construction, traffic was not in front of us, so we were able to turn and burn through the great curves in the road.

At the end of that bit of fun, we turned north on State Road 13. Where it merges up with State Road 37 sits an old diner. A testament to when this was the main road, before Interstate 69 was paved through near by. It makes me sad that someone lost there lively hood because there is not enough people like me on these roads, and visit places like this. Thinking about the greasy spoons that served the greasy food that was made in the place was starting to make me hungry. I fear the building is not long for the world, as urban sprawl is growing towards it in the form of cookie cutter houses. Ironically, the people in the homes could be a new audience for just such a place.

SR 13 took us north into Elwood. A right turn would put us on State Road 28, heading east. It became State Road 67, and led us into Portland, Indiana. We had planned to stop off for lunch at Tom and Rod's Steakhouse, but once again, a great establishment has fallen to the financial situation of being on the road less traveled.


We were able to find a Richard's Restaurant, yeah, I know it is a chain, further down the road. Then it was a short drive on State Road 26 east into Ohio. I was traveling with Rose this time, and we listened to music along the way.

After crossing the border, the road changed to Ohio State Road 119. It kept us going east until we made a left turn on US 127, and were northbound. At the far edge of Grand Lake, in the town of Celina, Ohio, we veered right onto SR 197. We left that road for State Road 66.

State Road 190 and then US 224 put us on a route for Kalida, Ohio, and another stop. Here Will and Rose changed out, and will was packing a vanilla shake with him. We headed north once again on SR 115 until we hit US 6. With a turn to the east, we could see the dark clouds looming over our destination. We decided to take an additional break, and let the storm pass to the north of us.

After a 45 minute wait in Malinta, Ohio, we headed back out, going east into Bowling Green. Despite our wait, we still hit rain soaked roads, and then a mist of rain. At this point, long in the day, it was decided to just get there, and after a stop to don the rain pants, we made our way on Interstate 75 north to Toledo. A short leg on 475 put us in Perrysburg, and in the parking lot for the French Quarter Hotel. We were joined shortly by a group from the Fort Wayne Chapter under the canopy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less About the Riding

Riding with Veterans