Mayberry to Mayberry

Sunday, June 10th, 2012

Danville, Indiana is not Mount Airy in North Carolina, the inspiration for Andy Griffins town, but we have a piece of it on the northwest corner of our square in the likes of Mayberry Cafe. This nostalgic TV can be a great draw for a business, and thus Clay City, Indiana has adopted the slogan, Mayberry of the Midwest, and is complimented with the Mayberry Malt Shop.

My favorite riding partner and I took off down Cartersburg Road, two GPS working the route. I am still using my old Garmin Streetpilot III, in addition to using a GPS on my Android Phone. Just looking for options for when the old Garmin gives out.

At the Old National Road, we jogged onto SR 39. I would have taken SR 39 here, but it is closed just south of town because of road construction. SR 39 took us south to Monrovia, Indiana, were would exchange for SR 42.  We would head west  until US 231, and then go south.

From US 231 we veered off to the right onto a road that becomes Rocky Hill Road just before Spencer, Indiana. This is a great little winding road through a wooded area. Once in Spencer, we stopped for a break, and proceeded on south on SR 67.

GPS issues lead me astray, but we found ourselves in Clay City sooner or later. I will be doing this route again, so you will get more details then. Being Sunday, I was taking a risk, and yes, the Mayberry Malt Shop was closed. Mayberry Cafe in Danville, is open on Sunday, just so you know. If your coming in town, make sure you give me a shout!

Around the corner was the Glory Days Restaurant, good food, and we still got an ice cream desert.

We started making our way back, a little north of town we hit SR 246 heading east. I wanted to make our way around Lieber State Park and the lake there, but ended up off course, heading through Greensburg, and around Heritage Lake. We returned home later than I had planned, but then sometimes that is the point, right?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less About the Riding

Riding with Veterans