Soup's On!!

Saturday, June 3, 2006

The day started with me and my Black Honda VTX 1800 fully loaded, and ready to head north into Door County. I had driven in Door County, but this should be a different experience, as it always is from car to a bike. I rode through Sturgeon Bay, over a draw bridge, and onto Bay Shore Drive. There were quite a few homes of the Lake Side of the road, but I could catch a view of the water through the trees every once in a while. The scenery was ever changing. For a few miles it would be heavily tree lined. The next few miles, one side of the road would give way to a view of the lake. Another stretch would feature the return of the trees along the lake side, but the opposite side would be rocky. Not nearly massive enough to be called mountainous, but it did remind a little of the pacific coast highway. The final type of stretch would be trees along the lake, and wide open space opposite. Some were farm fields, some were golf courses, some looked as though it was just untapped land.

Near a large beach park, I saw a small business. As I cruised by at the 35mph posted speed limit, I noticed the sign. It was a Pabst Blue Ribbon sign, but below, I saw the name of the establishment. Suddenly, a chorus of two men's voices filled my head, "Photo Op!" it sang out. The name of the little tavern was Duncan's Bar by the Bay. I had to get a picture for my Texas Riding Buddy. I could use it as initiative for him to plan to ride up here next year, and come and enjoy some soup!





I continued north, with temps cooling as I went. Driving through the quaint little harbor towns would bring back the memories of when Nina and visited here a few years ago. The Swedish place we had breakfast, and the Village View Hotel was still around in Sister Bay. Eventually in the "thumb" of Wisconsin you run out of land. I had to make a right turn on SR 42, and had to where the ferry to Washington Island. I wasn't planning on going over to the island, but there was a stretch of road leading up to it that I had to ride. This stretch of road could be perfectly straight, but some fantastic road designer decided to let this road wind back and forth until edge of Door County. God, I love that man, assuming that it is a man. It is only about a mile or two long, but it was great winding and weaving little stretch. You can keep your speed constant, and just let the bike rock back and forth. The curves end, the trees disappear, and the water arrives.






Unless I wanted to try to make my bike a jet ski, I had to travel back south. I knew from experience that the East COast of Door County was not as scenic, no through roads along the coast, but it does feature the largest city, Bailey's Harbor, is located here. I would stop here for a bathroom break, and a little snack. Once I was back through Sturgeon Bay, I would be cranking my way to Peebles. I always feel like I should by something from a gas station that I borrow the bathroom from.

Before making it to Mr. Soup's, I would have to go back through Green Bay, here I would stop for fuel. I had about 60 miles to go, and the GPS was saying I would arrive at 11:40. I didn't want to be that early, so I had a little snack of cashews and almonds, and some water, to waste some time before heading back out. I lucked out, as I was riding along the historic portion of Green Bay, it was actually very pretty. Once out of Green Bay, and I do mean once, the city scenery gave way to farm land, mostly Dairy Farms. I saw lots of green pastures, and the towns I did go through were one flashing light, not even a complete traffic, or stop and go, light. Before I knew it, I crested a hill, and I could see Lake Winnebago. I have to say, when it comes to the warmer season, these people is Wisconsin get out and enjoy every minute of it. There people walking, jogging, biking, boating, skiing, anything that could be done out doors, they were at it! They were also in shorts and short sleeved shirts! Here I was, feeling cool, in my leather riding jacket!

It was only about a 10 to 15 mile ride along the Lake Winnebago until Peebles. I couldn't see much of the lake, the road is a fair distance from the road, to make room for the private beaches on this side of the lake. From last year, when I took a tour around the lake, I can tell you that the west side is more open, and you can ride along more lake shore. You can also go through Oshkosh, by gosh.

I was actually able to park in front of Mr. Soup's house this year, as I arrived earlier than last year. Reed was already there, parked near the drive way, and the mailbox. The bikes were pouring in. Everyone was standing in the sun, out by the bikes. I was waiting for an announcement for when Soup was on, but apparently it was, just nobody was partaking in it! After finding a seat at a table, I got back up, been sitting a lot lately, and headed into the house for the bathroom, and to give my yearly donation, and check out the lay out the food spread. A couple of other guys that weren't shy had already scooped up some soup, so I decided to follow. Reed was ready to dig in shortly after I sat down. We were joined by a pair of Honda Aero Riders, in fact, I believe I recognized "Roadsnakes" from the shadow forum, or maybe when I have been on the All Aero Forum. Another guy, his nametag said Joe, was also at the end of the table. Before finishing my second course, a brat and some spicy gumbo, a couple, man and woman, had also taken a seat at the table.

After a great meal, and I do mean great soup and brats, I took a stroll around to look at the other bikes. As I was returning, Reed called my name, he said he had a man who wanted to talk to me. I couldn't remember over ogling any women here, so I thought I was safe. Apparently, this guy rode a VTX, and wanted to look at my car tire. Shortly after, Reed took off, and was headed back to Indy. I stayed and talked to the new people I had met. This is certainly an event that is what you make it. If you can get yourself to approach people and talk to them, you will hear all kind of stories. If you don't, you are liable to be alone, but you will have a good meal!! I had fully planed to leave around 3, but I got caught up with a trio of guys that I talked to a lot last year, and we began another conversation this year. One of the guys, Chris, is from Winnipeg, Canada. We shared stories of accessories, and dealers, and moved into politically discussions. One thing Chris brought up was that he needed to give thumb print to get money from a bank, something he refused, and he seemed to believe that everyone in Canada would think this an affront that they would never take part of. I found it curious. Any one from the great white north care to explain this further, please do!

I didn't talk to a lot of people last year, but I still had a good time, and met a guy who rode a bike similar to my brothers, and we rode back together to Sheboygan. I didn't seem him this year, but I had met several other new people, and I look forward to talking to them again next year. I really have to give huge props to the man known as Mr. Soup. Who would be so bold to open there house to a hundred or so bikers from across the country, and feed them! But he doesn't do it alone, his own kids, as well as their friends are always hard at work all day long keeping drinks cold, trash emptied, and getting pictures taken. Then there is Mrs. Soup, who probably helps feed the family the other days of the year, but here she was working hard in the kitchen making sure the burgers brats and soup is warm and ready to eat! I can't say what a great job they do, and how I am overwhelmed by being impressed with this event, and the people behind. Two Big Spoons Up!! For more photos of the Soup Run, Click
Here.




So here is was, nearly 4:30, and I was just leaving. I decided to take the quickest way to Mars Cheese Castle, as it closed at 7pm. I had about 100 miles to get there. After an Indy Style Pit Stop for food, I was able to make it in a little over two hours. I got my cheese, and headed out, west, to avoid Chicago. Apparently SR 47 is not the road to be on when you want to find a hotel. There were plenty of high class ones in Lake Geneva, but after that, I only saw a Holiday Inn, and in the dark, I couldn't see how to get into the place!! I ended up in Joliet, Illinois. It was after 9 o'clock local time.

After checking into the Motel 6, yes the light was on, I embarked to find dinner. I had seen a restaurant on the way into town, all I could remember was where it was, and it said something about being All American. When I returned, I could see that it was called Pom-Poms. The waitresses didn't seem to be wearing cheerleading outfits, and none of them had those puffy ball like streamers that they normally have. I am not sure where the Pom-Poms name comes from? I will say that all the waitresses look like they were about 15, not old enough to drink, let alone be serving and mixing them! There was alive three piece band playing, they were pretty good. One of the patrons, seemed fairly drunk, asked me if I remembered Loverboy, and a song about breaking up. I had to think, too long for him to wait around, as my large sandwich was waiting, but I think he was talking about "(I Hope Your With Me) When Its Over". Any 70's music fans that can give me another Loverboy tune?

I returned to the hotel, and settled into the bed for the last night of Soup Run 2006.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I just happened upon your blog.... Very Nice!!!! Hope to see you at the next Soup Run...
Unknown said…
Thanks Rob, and always thanks for hosting such a great event. Believe or not, it was about two weeks later that Steve, the other guy from Indy, was talking about going next year, and finding more to ride up with us! I am hoping to start on Friday, get some soup Saturday, ride to Oshkosh, visit the Air Museum, then ride back on Monday or Tuesday.

Digital Rodney

Popular posts from this blog

Less About the Riding

Riding with Veterans