Sunday Morning, Appreciating the Comforts of Life

Sunday, September 16, 2007

It has been a while since I made my trek to Shapiro's for breakfast with the old crew. By old, I mean the guys I meet there, I believe I am the youngest regular!

I pulled out of the drive, and down the street into some crisp, morning air. The temp was around 50 Degrees, more likely on the shy side of that mark. It felt good. It woke me up, and made me feel alive!.

I headed west on Washington Street until Pleasant Run Parkway. It snakes through town, heading south and west. It is a aptly named road, except for the broken pavement, but a pleasant stroll through town.

After a stint on Southeastern, I return to the parkway, and pass by the coke plant, not the cola, the stuff made from coal. The natural gas tank sits low in its cradle, as it usually moves up and down depending on how full it is. Eventually, I spill onto Prospect Avenue.

In other posts I mentioned an elder man that I would see every Sunday, dressed to nines, most likely waiting for a bus to pick him up and take him to a church. I haven't seem him in a long time. I don't know his name, don't know his past, all I knew was that he used to be there every Sunday. I started waving to him every Sunday. I started expecting him to be there every Sunday. I wonder is though the same of me. Maybe sometimes he timed me against the church bus?

The combination of riding alone, and the cool air flowing around in my helmet woke me up, and got my mind racing. Seeing that gentleman every Sunday was a signal to me that things were right in the world. It was a small comfort, one of those that is easy to overlook. I don't know why I miss him, but I do? It is like not flossing in the morning, or not having a cup of coffee. You will live without, but it is a comfort that you did it!.

As I pulled on to South Meridian Street, I headed north, my last leg to Shapiro's. One of things I have always done is memorize who drives what car or motorcycle. When I pull up to a situation like this, I know who is here. Again, another little comfort. Who likes to go to a group meeting, and find out you are the only one? There is a relief in the fact that others are there.

I guess what I am getting at is that lots of times people seem to get blindsided by the little things adding up. Well, little comforts can add up too. That can build to a big comfort. Big comfort can make you happy, just as much as little problems building in to a big one!!

After breakfast, I followed Wild Bill on a trek through town. Things were dead, the Colts were playing in Tennessee. Had it been a home game, the street would be flooded with Blue and White!

We went north on Meridian and Illinois Street, east on Ohio, then south on East back to Washington Street. We headed east back out of town, Bill headed south on Shadeland, I continued to my street off of Washington.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less About the Riding

Riding with Veterans