Toy Run Day 1: Feeling Like Santa, But I Need Rudolph!

Friday, September 7th, 2007

Well the day is finally here. I always told myself I would never got to a big rally where you camp out in a field, and hang out all night with a bunch of rowdy, drunk people. Sound like Sturgis, well it is, say I missed it, it was last week, well your wrong, this is Sturgis, Michigan. It is also a Toy Run. It is also an event in which Julie, a friend and President of the the Cruiser Club, USA Chapter up there helps to put together. I have been promising her I would come, and this was the year I had no more excuses, besides my deep rooted reservations. But like my mom with a big old plate of vegetables, I figured I had better try it before I say I don't like it.

I headed out under cool, grey skies around nine o'clock in the morning. First stop was the bank machine, as the two previous times came up empty, with the unit being serviced. I continued north on Shadeland Avenue until it crosses 465, which I took north to I-69. Traffic was moderate, and I was on my way to SR 37, then on to SR 19. I made my way through Noblesville, and then on to SR 19. I was looking to get some miles in, and have time for lunch and anything else I might want to do.

State Highways are dotted with small towns, which I enjoy, but it takes more time to ride through, and so I pretty much stayed on schedule. SR 19 ends, and then picks up again, so I followed several county roads to get back to it. Soon, I would be on familiar asphalt, as I approached the town of Peru, Indiana, the Circus Capital of the World. My dad grew up here, and I have visited numerous times. The road north of here gets nice and twisty for while, and the trees that line the road make it scenic. Part of the road is even called "Lover's Lane"!

SR 19 Straightens out, and I was making my way toward Nappanee, Indiana. I had about a half a tank of gas, so I filled up before lunch, it would be an hour or so before I pulled into the Amish Town. During that stint, I crossed a railroad crossing marked at five miles per hour, and it needed it! Then I got rained on twice, not bad showers, but the spray off the semi in front of me did drench my legs.

The main place to eat in Nappanee is Amish Acres, but I didn't have the time, and didn't want to spend the money, so I went to another place, the Country Table, recommended by a fellow rider in the area. They had a buffet, and the food was good, and I ate too much, as I usually do on a ride. Before hitting the road, I played it safe, and threw on my rain pants.

I continued on SR 19 until I got to Michigan. The road changed names, but I turned on to SR 12 before too long. I was now heading east to the town of Sturgis. by this time, the sun was out, and it was getting warm. I think my jeans were dry! I knew putting on my Frogg Togg rain pants would turn the weather around!

I arrived in town, and hit the Walmart first, getting some mouthwash and some fruit cereal bars. I then did a loop around the field, and then to Julie's House.

Julie and I took her truck out to the campsite, and the blustery wind made it hard to pitch a tent! I thought I had it secured, but when I returned on the bike, it was halfway through our neighbors campground. The wind had died down, but not until after a rain, and with the tent on its side, a little water got in.

Julie and I spent most of the night cruising in her golf cart through the muddy mess of a field. I sipped a few beers, and we went to listen to the bands, and see how many women were running around topless. I have to get some kind of thrill of this!!

The night seemed pretty calm, even though there was plenty of noise going all night. A firework booming at four in the morning was better than any alarm clock I have ever owned!! But I am getting into tomorrow, and that is the next post!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less About the Riding

Riding with Veterans