Soup Run 2008, Day One: Well I didn't need Sun Screen!

Friday, May 30th, 2008

Well, this is becoming a regular rite of passage for the seasons, a tradition even! The weekend after memorial day, after the big race, I hop on the bike and trek over 400 miles for a bowl of soup. Yes it is time for I an several other bikes to make out way, and invade Mr. Soup's Home for a few hours, and enjoy the fruits of his talents. Before I begin my trip, here is his official site: Mr.s Soup's Soup Run

As I said earlier, this is becoming a tradition with me, this is the fourth one in a row for me, it is the 8th overall event. This means, when I arrive, and let a drop of soup run down my chin, I will have enjoyed half of the events put on. Of course, I have to go next year, that would be my five year anniversary! Then I have to go the year after that, it will be the 10th Soup Run, I can't miss that! So I am "trapped" with this annual ride for at least two more years.

Out of the three previous trips, I have never taken the same route. In fact, the second year I took the scenic route through Mackinaw, Michigan, the Upper Peninsula, and then a quick tour of Door County. 1240 miles to get a bowl of soup. Apparently, I have a bit of forum fame for that trip.

The trips usually always start the same, through town, up I-65 until I can veer over to US-52. I would take this road through Lafayette, Indiana, and then on up heading north and west until I cross into Illinois. In Kankakee, I switch to SR-113, but first a break for lunch.

You ever just drive around, and see a place, and think, "I must stop there!" Well that happened to me with Bull Pit BBQ. I had no idea what I wanted for lunch, something with more protein and fiber than carbs. I was thinking chicken would be good, but hey, pork is the other white meat. When I told the gal behind the register I was from out of town, and didn't know their procedures, she said I came to the right place, and promised me they were the best in town. I was not disappointed!

Shortly after Kankakee, the sunshine turned to liquid. I debated about putting on my rain gear after lunch, I was on the con side when I left, and I lost! Luckily, I was riding past a hunting park that had pull offs for vehicle parking. The one I picked had a small shelter. It was big enough I could duck under while donning the rain gear.

It was just a shower, and nothing near the Thunderstorms that were brewing all around me. It lasted for about 20 miles. I got hit by a few other quick showers with huge raindrops, but then the skies opened up, and the sun shone down once again.

By the time I was passing through Aurora, IL. I was getting very warm. A gas stop, and I could take the fleece pull over off. With a mix of a new route, and some from last year, I made my way to the land of cheese, and then on to the hotel. I got checked in, and then began a search for dinner. I was craving fish. I should be able to find that in the land of lakes!

Well, the place I picked out was now a sports bar, and I figured what the heck. It was a cool place, and the staff was great. I felt like an odd ball, I was the only one who didn't know everyone else! A guy sat next to me, and before long we struck up a conversation.

He filled in me in that the bar was owned by three people who used to run the bar at a local bowling alley. New owners at the lanes forced them quit and create there own place. All the locals from the other place followed them.

Dinner, Cod and fries, could have been a lot better, but the floor show couldn't be beat! Not good enough to work into the tradition, though.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less About the Riding

Riding with Veterans