They say It is not a matter of if, but a matter of when

Saturday, May 3, 2008

Well, before too long it would be June, and June means Gathering of Eagles (GOE), the National Rally for Cruiser Club, USA, to be held right here in good old Indianapolis! Which that means our chapter, and myself had to plan the whole, or still be in the process of planning.

Today we were doing our first pre-ride of the Ralph Barnard Memorial Poker Run, the main event of GOE. We were meeting at the host hotel, the Clarian Waterfront on Indy's Westside. Al was already there, and I noticed my father was lined up behind me already. I thought I have seen new member Micheal pass by, probably heading to fuel up before the start of the day's ride.

After chatting and waiting for others to show up, we ventured out on SR 136 to join Crawfordsville Road. We went south and east to Lynhurst, cruising through the town of Speedway. Eventually, we arrived at Kentucky avenue, and went south and west, and pass the first stop. We were now traveling SR 67.

After about 18 miles, we turned onto Sheldon Road. Instantly the scenery changes to farm land, and the road winds through the hills and trees. After dropping into first gear for my favorite turn in Indiana, we took a stint on Wilbur Road. That would lead us to Upper Patton Road.

From there we veer onto Berean Road, which winds through farms and woods until Little Hurricane Road. Again we wind through different kinds of farms, Horse, Tree and regular old farms. Just like nature, little hurricanes lead to bigger ones, and this road leads to Big Hurricane Road.

After a jog on Letterman Road, we turn onto Base Lane Road, and then Turkey Neck. This road is aptly named, as it has some Turkey Necks, some fun little turns. After that exercise in turning and control, we turn on 700 West to head south, and rejoin SR 67.

We took SR 67 further south and west to SR 42, and then went south, winding our way into the town of Spencer, Indiana, where we went downtown to have lunch at Chamber's Restaurant. After our fill of their famous Chicken and Biscuits with Applebutter, Spencer has a festival for the spread every September, we head back out for the host hotel, of course not the most direct route. We took Rock Hill Road north our of town, and eventually, after a scenic ride through a windy, tree lined road, got back on SR 42.

After a few miles, SR 42 veers to the east. It is pretty straight along here, but has a few turns, mostly at ninety degrees. We were approaching on of those turns in the town of Eminence, Indiana. I quick, shallow switchback just south of town is a warning of the town. I made it through the turns, and down a small hill when I heard on the CB.

"Your Dad is Down," Allan's voice rang in my helmet. I checked the mirror's, no one was behind me. I knew for sure that dad was in trouble. My mind went it a mode that I can only compare to the one I use when I am about to direct live television. My mind racing, building everything in steps. I thought, get the bike turned around, get back to the scene, get the kickstand down, shut off the engine, etc.

I approached my Dad's BMW laying on the road, my dad in the ditch, with Micheal, Allan, and the women in the car behind us, tending to my father. His helmet was off. I could also see he had lost a shoe, and had road rash on the top of his foot. I saw blood streaming down his face. I thought, I have to see if he is bleeding form his mouth, if he is, this bad, very bad.

I could see the blood was streaming from the bridge of his nose, where his classes had cut him. A van had pulled in behind my bike, the man jumped out with a walkie talkie in hand, calling someone by their first names. He had a t-shirt with a paramedic emblem on it. He started checking dad over.

I knew I had to call my mom. I went up by the bike, and got out my cell phone. As I was talking to her, the ambulance arrived. I don't remember hearing sirens?

After I worked things out with mom, I called to find someone to come and get the bike. Finally I got a hold of Duncan, who flashed into action.

When I turned around, a small army was tending to my father. He was talking and answering questions. I went back down near him, and someone handed me a pad. I jotted down information about him, listening to questions the EMT's were asking. I was thinking as clear as I ever had, but things went by with a flash. They cut through his leather jacket and clothing like it was worth nothing! Next someone was telling that lifeline, the helecopter was on its way. Before I knew it, I was at the local high school watching the chopper take off with my dad on board.

My next stop would be my parent's house to get my mom and drive here the hospital. I took the fastest route, SR 42 to I-70. 465 would take me around the city and around town. I pulled up there driveway.

I honked, but the garage door did not go up. It wasn't long before I was realizing that no one was home. I called my mother's cell, and found out her best friend and her husband had picked her up and headed to the hospital, the wrong hospital, though.

I sent her a text message, telling her to go to the other one, she called back as I was at the bottom of the driveway. I head into downtown to the hospital, located on the IUPUI Campus.

I arrived with no idea where to park. After wondering around, I deciding to forget my search, and just pull into the parking garage. From there is was a long evening in the ER and ICU. Dad was well medicated, and banged up, but would heal his fractured ribs, collar bone, clavicle, nose and little toe. He also had some light bleeding on his liver. Things could have been much worse!

I took Interstate 70 most of the way home, with a brief stint on 465. I had never concentrated more on my driving then on this trip. People often say there are two types of motorcyclists, those who have crashed, and those that will some day. My dad had other crashes in his long riding career. This may be his lost, as he may hang up the helmet for good.

Comments

Swamprat said…
Hope your dad is healed up fine.
Anonymous said…
Dad is doing much better, and feeling well everyday. GOE is over too! Now I can ride and relax!

Popular posts from this blog

Back in the Saddle, and the Gravel, and the Rain, Again.

Less About the Riding