This Squirrel is Nuts!

Thursday, May 29th, 2008

First, a little note: This is actually my 200th Post!! Wow, that means 200 or more rides since I started keeping this blog. I believe I started in April of 2006. So over a little more that 2 years, I have ridden somewhere between a quarter and a third of the time!

On to the ride, this one being led be Ron Wade. We would be meeting at a Tire Barn on the west side of town. I decided to get over there quick, and took I-70 through town, and then the Airport Expressway to 465 and to US 40. I stopped and fueled up, then headed over to where Mr. Wade was waiting.

Once the rest of the crew, Wild Bill, Jim Easyrider, and Dave Elmore showed up, we took off. Well, not exactly. Wild Bill was acting like a princess who needed the right helmet for the ball!

We took US 40 West until US 240, which took us into Greencastle, Indiana. I have taken this route before, en route to Covered Bridge Country. We took Greencastle Road out of town. It is a sometimes curvy, sometimes scenic road. It has some great tree lined legs.

As we traveled along the road, I was beginning to wonder if Easyrider didn't have something in his saddle bags? As we were heading down a back country road, a squirrel darted across the road. A common occurrence that usually ends in a damaged, or flattened animal. What happened was the strangest thing I had ever seen! The little brown rodent hit Jim's back tire right at the contact patch sidewall. So square it knocked the little guy back and up in the air. His body slowly rotating backwards, two feet of the pavement! He landed, and darted again, this time he saw Dave's bike, and thought better of a second ride. How he could still be too himself, I don't know? After pausing, he darted the rest of the way across the road in front of me. I just shook my head, and wished I had a video camera on that! I would 10 Grand in the bank for sure! Besides that, the little guy's head has to be bald!

As if that was not enough animal life for Jim to deal with. Not much further down the road, a dog ran out to the road. I swear Jim's Highway Bar hit the thing. He was a fast a determined dog, keeping right up with Jim for a good distance.

With all the thrills for the day over, We eventually pulled into Bridgeton, Indiana. After some bathroom breaks, and I had a talk with Mill Owner Mike Roe, we were back on our way to find a place for lunch.

We went south out of town, and through Rosedale and Coxville, and after a short stretch on US 41, we arrived in Clinton. Our first choice for an eatery didn't look like it had been open for a while. We ended up in downtown Clinton, at an Italian Place.

After a filling lunch, they had a buffet, we headed back. As we were heading south on SR 59, another thrill. The only wildlife that was involved this time was the moron in the car who was trying to pass the group without enough space!! I thought for sure I was about to witness a head on collision! He cut in front of Jim, just not his day, I guess?

After making a turn to a back road, at least most of us made it, the rest had to turn around and come back, we were heading back east. I warned Ron we were coming up on a jog, and he did half of it! I waited for them to turn around, but no bikes, no message on the CB. After waiting several minutes, I headed for home, alone.

I stayed on a lot of country roads until I eventually spilled out on US 40, and took that east back into town. In fact, I just took that all the way through town, and back home.

I guess I should look out for post number 300! Gee, number 200 had it's share of thrills! The only thing I could think of is that squirrel must be what it eats: NUTS!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less About the Riding

Riding with Veterans