The Rain Has Stopped

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Well, after two long days with rain, Tuesday the weather folks were talking record rainfalls, the skies have parted, leaving only a blanket of fog around in the morning. The streets were still wet, and puddles could still be jumped into, and splashed out of the holes they filled.

My route was the normal one to work, but traffic seems heavier. There seems to be more trucks on the road. With the sharp and narrow turn offs, most of them have to use the left lane, and the center turn lane to swing onto the side street.

When I crossed Emerson, I passed Nina, stuck behind one of those trucks, and switched into the left lane, as the right lane often retains water after a pour.

Again this morning, there was general confusion at Washington and Delaware. Even though it is well marked, the extreme right lane is not actually the turn lane. It is a curb and parking lane. Since it is right by the City County Building, there are a lot of people dropping others off. The lane to turn right, and head north on Delaware is the second lane. Of course, the situation has become worse thanks to construction on the third right lane, making cars split around, and someone trying to pass a metro bus. Again, a plain black lettered, yellow background sign, instructs drivers to not to do that.

I also have to wonder how many times a weeks this cagers drive this way? I take the same route to work nearly everyday, I have to assume that everyone else does, and you would think they could see how they are suppose to drive.

Since I am writing this, you know I made it to work, and I avoided any road rage, either directed toward me, or coming from me.

The end of the work day came, and it was time to head north to the parent's house. I took a little diversion to try and find the future house of a freelancer who is moving into Broad Ripple. It was a hot trip, as the mercury is tempting 90 degrees. I arrived at the PUD, and pulled into the garage.

We went to eat this night, to a place called Bub Burger in Carmel, Indiana, actually pretty close to duplex that I used to live in. This place is known for what it calls an "Ugly Burger". It is a full one pound of ground beef, grilled up, and thrown on a bun. If you eat it, you get a picture of yourself placed on the wall. None of us went for the pounder. I wasn't feeling photogenic.

After doing most of the crossword puzzle in the Indianapolis Star with my mom, I began my trip back, with a first stop at Wild Oats Natural Food Market. I went south on Westfield Boulevard, and then west on 89th street to take the "back" way into Nora Shopping Center. This shopping area has changed several times from when I was kid, and we would come to shop at the Ayr-Way.

After filling the trunk of the motorcycle with food from the store, I headed out back home. I went east on 86th Street to Keystone, North to 465. The guy in front of my was driving slow, and never using a turn signal until he went to pull on the ramp for the interstate. Up the ramp, he took off like a bat out of hell?!

465 would take me around the city to Washington Street. There were some thick and dark clouds in the sky, but I wouldn't see moisture until I got near home. It appeared it rained pretty good on the east side of town. The garage door was open as I pulled up the driveway, and I parked the bike for the night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less About the Riding

Riding with Veterans