Work Ride: Someone Invented a 14.5 Hour Work Day

Saturday, July 15, 2006

It is Saturday, and I have to work. Today, I will be working on production of a show called "Everyday Edisons", a show that finds an inventor, and follows them along the path from concept to store shelf.

I took my normal route along Washington Street west to Delaware, were I went north to tenth street. Tenth Street led my west to Meridian Street, and then north to Fourteenth Street. The ride was strange, first because it was Saturday, and I had to report an hour earlier than usual, arriving at 7am.

None of us knew what to expect, but most of us thought we would be pulling back out of the parking lot around 5pm. Apparently in the show's past, they would get about 20 budding inventors on tape. Today, we would use nearly eight hours of tape, and record 61 ordinary people creating the next big thing. There was a screening process before the taping, but I am not sure what they were screening. Many of the reason they were rejected on tape were reasons I thought should be caught?

So the crew poured out of the employee entrance at 9:30pm, yes I said 9:30 PM! Fourteen and half hours later, we were officially done.

I wanted to get home in a hurry, no mystery why there, so I headed south on Pennsylvania Street to Eleventh Street, were I would had east. This road becomes the ramp for I-70/I-65. I-65 splits to the south almost immediately, but I continue east on I-70. I-70 leads me to 465, and south to Washington Street.

It was a long, and at times, an agonizing day, but I was glad it was over, and I will be waiting for that paycheck. By the way, it is not the longest day I have ever worked. I have worked from 5am to midnight. I think I actually enjoyed that day a lot more, also.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less About the Riding

Riding with Veterans

Riding for the Fallen