Birthdays-Day Two

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Time for the last birthday of the weekend, but first, I had some other traveling to do. First off, was breakfast, and Shapiros. I had not been there in two weeks, so I am sure the group was anticipating my return. Heck, there might even be a banner or something!

I took my more scenic route, or at least a more leisurely course. It is hard to say scenic when driving through a city. However, it is just a different class, as I go past some beautiful old homes, and buildings, including Fountain Square, where I had just had dinner the night before. I didn't see my "friend" waiting for the church bus, I may have been too late, or too early, but I hope he is all right.

With this path, I arrive at Shapiro's from the south. I dismounted, crossed Meridian Street, and entered the deli with little or no fanfare. I was surprised that the cashier remembered my order to "T". They didn't have Orange Juice, but another server was able to get some bottled over at another counter.

The regular conversations ensued, and it seemed Easy Rider Jim and Carl were itching to ride. I had the birthday party and a work out waiting for me, so I took off. I went over to Pennsylvania Street, up to Maryland, which turns into Washington Street for my route home. I was home at around quarter after 10, and had the 45 minutes to wait until the YMCA opened.

Before I got my workout shoes on, I got a call from Wild Bill. Apparently, the post breakfast ride didn't get far, about a mile. The group had pulled into a gas station, but no one needed to fuel up. However, Wager had put his kickstand down, and didn't pull it back up. It is hard to tell how old his bike is, but it is rumored to be a 1982. Not sure of the color, as we all believe the dirt is what holds the thing together. Wager is a long time, and very good rider, the bike is his greatest liability. Wild Bill told me that Wager indeed did go down, but it didn't sound like the mechanical issue I would have thought. It sounds like he was seeing what was scrapping, and the bike veered right, and impacted a parked car. Wild Bill didn't know much more, but he did mention the bike was probably totaled. If the bike had fallen in the parking lot, it could have been totaled. We all know it doesn't take much for accidents to add up quickly, and so it wouldn't take much to surpass the value of this bike.

I rode the bike to the YMCA, and had my workout. It was cool coming home, covered in sweat, and breaking through the early afternoon weather. A front had passed, and the humidity was going, as well as about 8 degrees of temperature.

After a shower, I headed back out to the bike, and ventured toward my friend's house. They were celebrating the first year birthday of their current foster child, a child they hope will become their own. I took Washington Street most of the way through town. I marveled at how full the Zoo Parking Lot, and the AAA Indianapolis Indians Baseball Park, Victory Field were. I was hoping I might see an elephant perched on the enclosure's hill, but I was able to spy two of the packiderms walking on a service road with several trainers around them.

I veered to the northwest at Rockville Road. After a traffic jam for an accident, I arrived at the neighborhood street that would lead me to last birthday party of the weekend.

Another Cook Out, and another round of good eating. No dinner for me tonight, I have already met with this week's quota, and I am behind from the boat trip!

I left about 5pm, and followed the GPS Direction back to Rockville, then 465 South. I ramped off at Airport Expressway, and then onto I-70. This interstate would take me across town, and to 465 again, but on the east side of Indianapolis. I arrived at home, having sung "Happy Birthday" twice, and heard it sung to me once.

The week promises great weather, so you will see another round of work related rides. Monday, however, I must venture back to the airport to collect Nina.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less About the Riding

Riding with Veterans