Ride to Work, The Heat Still Sizzles

Tuesday, August 1, 2006

August has begun with one of its typical Dog Days. Mid nineties, for both the temp and the humidity! Factor them both together, you get a mix that feels like 110 plus. Add in hot pavement, broiling at 130 degrees, and sitting at light can meld, melt and wield, your boots right to the ground!

That was the forecast, but in the morning, it was about 75, but the humidity was still there, and too much movement, and you were a sweaty rag. I have been having problems with the MP3 Player, so I chucked in the saddle bag, and went for the half helmet. I was hoping it would be cooler, but there is a point where nothing will work. The morning it was better, as I took my usual route to work.

Sometime while I was inside the building, the point I speak of above was crossed and then some. Quite frankly, I could have ridden naked and got no relief. I am sure Duncan has tried, so I will ask for a comment from him. I was heading straight home, as I had errand or two to run. I headed north up Meridian Street, the Maine north-south artery of Indianapolis. It is only lined with buildings, and no shade. At 34th Street, I turned right, heading east. Even though I would take Central Street North, only a few blocks away, it was residential, and had mature trees that hang over the roadway, providing some canopy over the street.

The shade of Central Avenue felt great, even though it was probably still 80 something degrees. The extreme was nearly unbelievable from the sun to shade. There are more stops along Central, and at each one I could feel the heat from the engine raising up around the fuel tank.

Central takes you to Broad Ripple, the village area of Indianapolis, and a big hang out for 20 somethings. In fact, a gal from work is moving into this area, and I took a brief detour to pass by her new abode. I also decided to cruise through the main strip, taking Westfield Boulevard north. It has some fun corners on it, but I would be saddled by driving behind some old ladies who probably thing this road is far to dangerous for the posted speed limit.

After a brief, and hot, stint on 86th Street, I made my way to Nora Shopping Center, stopping at the Target first. I needed a duffel bag for our trip to Maine. Nina had some, but they are pink, and have some tears in them. After Target, I went over to Wild Oats to stock up on snacks for the 1060 mile, two day car ride to Maine we are embarking on to get to our boat in time.

It was 5:45, and I knew the highway would be a mess. So I headed down Keystone Avenue to Kessler. Kessler jogs east and south, and terminates at 56th Street. I would take that east to 465, passed the major traffic tie ups, and head south to Washington Street. Of course I would make it home, forgetting that I also needed to CVS to pick up a prescription! I guess I was too exited with my new duffel bag? Maybe, just maybe, the heat is getting to me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less About the Riding

Riding with Veterans