Finding Your Cheers!

Thursday, July 12, 2007

"Sometimes you want go, where everybody knows your name..." I think I am close to the familiar refrain from the theme song to "Cheers". As long as the show was on, and thanks to a continuation in syndication, just about everyone can remember the television show set in a Boston Bar. I mention it, because it reminds me of today's destination. I got some work down on the house, and the trucking company came and picked up the roll off dumpster from the driveway, so I was headed for a reward! If you have read for a while, you know that Shelbi Street Cafe is one of my favorite places. For me, it is my place "Where everyone (at least the staff) knows my name." I used to go about once a week, but now that I don't work downtown, it has been a few months since I had dined there.

I hopped on the bike, and cruised slowly out of the garage, hitting the button on the remote in my jacket, and watched the garage door go down behind me. I pulled on to Washington Street, and began heading west into downtown. I wasn't sure which route I was going to take, as the GPS was just plotting my position. The MP3 player was playing along, and I was feeling pretty gosh darn good!

Right after Emerson Avenue, I decided to veer off on Pleasant Run Parkway. This road meanders through town along Pleasant Run Creek. Most of the ride is along parkland. It would weave me south and west to Prospect Street.

I took Prospect west to Fountain Square, which used to be billed as the downtown of the south side. I pulled into an alley behind Deano's Restaurant, and found a parking space. I crossed Shelby Street, and stepped into the restaurant. The first waitress to see me, and greet me was Angie. She is younger and blond, and he hair is in some kind of dreadlock hair doo. She showed me to a table, and asked if I wanted my normal mix of Ice Teas and Raspberry Tea. When she returned with my beverage, she started what would be the theme of my visit. She told me that they have all missed me, and wondered what had happened. Like I said, they know me here. Even when I am here by myself, I feel like I am still having a meal with friends. I told her I was not working downtown anymore, and it is a longer drive. I had planned on meeting people here for business, but it just didn't work out.

Brook would bring me my food, a Salmon Cobb Sandwich with mixed vegetables. They will probably rename this the "Rodney" after I die. It is my usual! Brook is younger too, and a small gal. I remember when she started working here. She said she missed me too, and that Julie, the other waitress had been asking if I had been in.

Julie was the first waitress that I really got to know. Not only does she work at the cafe, she lives in an apartment in the building. The whole place is a complex of sorts, it has a beautiful atmospheric theater, a fifties style diner, a hotel, and two duck pin bowling allies. If you are close, go and visit!! Julie nearly berated me about not coming in, and not calling to say I was ok. She thought I might have been in a motorcycle accident, and had been laid up in the hospital. I was told that if I can not make it in at least every other week, I need to call! You can't tip enough for that kind of service!

After I finished my delicious sandwich, a salmon fillet dressed with bacon, tomatoes, gaucamole, and blue cheese crumbles, trust me, it is great, I paid my bill, and headed out.

I went north and west on Virginia Street, and then jogged over to I 65/I 70. I followed I 70 to 465, and went north, as I needed to make a stop to save big money at Menards. I exited at Pendleton Pike, and drove south and west to large Home Improvement store.

After buying some staples for my hammer stapler, I returned on Pendleton Pike, and then south on Shadeland Avenue. I went east on Tenth Street, and went past Holy Spirit Catholic Church, who was sitting up for there annual festival, which start tonight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less About the Riding

Riding with Veterans