Continuing the Education

Saturday, July 19th, 2008




You know how sometimes you wake up, you know it is going to be a good day, and other times when you know it is going to be bad day? Then there are the days you wake up and you think, this will be an interesting day. I had spent 14 years riding with the same person on the back of the bike, and of course there were a few people that hopped on in that time to see what it was like. Now I was riding with a new passenger, and I do mean new, I mean the week before she was afraid to get on the bike!

C.Jay and head off be going south on Franklin Road. I have learned that newbies are afraid of speed. Believe me, I get that! I recently learned to snow ski, and even though my skis were always crossed, plowing out the snow, I felt like I was about to take flight! So we stayed on back roads, and those with speed limits below 45 miles per hour.

We meander our way down Franklin Road, and eventually arrived in, surprise! Franklin, Indiana. Surprisingly, she was very comfortable, as I knew on the end of the previous ride she was actually enjoying herself. The intercom system really helps, you don't have to yell, you can actually converse in calm, nearly quiet manor. We made our way through the home of Franklin College, and staying on SR 44 through town and to SR 135. This little leg south of town has some nice curves, and a good introduction to the hills of southern Indiana that are to come and increase.
We turned south on SR 135, a two lane country highway that continues the curves, hills, and small towns. Eventually, you arrive at Nashville, Indiana. Like the other Nashville a few more hundred miles south, this berg is a destination. The town is full of little shops run by artists and wood workers. Every little Nick knack you could imagine can be purchased, or made for you here. The street and sidewalks are always full of walkers, usually with shopping bags in their hands. We cruised through town, witnessing several other bikes parked along the way, and pulled into the gas station at the end of town. C.Jay dismounted, needing a stretch and a bathroom break, and I filled the tank of The Pearl.

We only had a few more miles to get to our destination, a cook out with C.Jay's Family. She had not seen a lot of them in a while, and I had never met them, so this was one of things that you should be nervous about. However, the great ride down had me completely relaxed. After our brief rest, we boarded the bike, and headed east for the entrance to the park. I had also taken the chance to get the park admission fee in a more convenient location. After paying the Park Attendant, we slowly rolled through the park. It was not long before we found the shelter that her family had staked out.

We had some good cooked out food, burgers and hot dogs, and some good conversation, and decided it was time to head back north. The idea of using a motorcycle for transportation was a novelty to this family, so they all watched as we strolled back to the bike. There was a chorus of "Awwwwwww," when I helped her strap on her helmet. We decided since we had paid the admission, we may as well take a tour of the park. Slowly we cruised through probably the most beautiful park in Indiana, if not the country. In a few months, the tree would be like a fireworks show, full of color.

We took the other side of the loop to exit the park, and thus didn't go back past the family gathering. This lead us back to SR 46, which we took east until Salt Creek Road. This road would take us back north, but certainly not in a straight, or flat path. I had been on this road several times, and I am no way near tired of it. Having someone along for the ride that had never ridden it, always fuels a rebirth of appreciation for this stretch of asphalt.

We turned when the road teed at Gainesville, Indiana. This must be the only thing in town, as the boundaries seem infinitesimal. The sign marker the hamlet proudly proclaims that you enter and leave at the same time.

Another turn, and we were heading back north on Sweetwater Trail. This would wind us north to Beech Tree Lane. With these stretched of pavement being recently paved, the ride was smooth as it twisted, rose, and fell. Beech Tree was a new site, as a tornado had passed just feet from the road, leaving twisted lumber, and a wide clearing where tress proudly stood.

The next turn would be onto Ninavah Road, through the town of Ninavah, and then to SR 252. This road divides section of Camp Atterbury, and spills out to US 31. We headed back north on the divided highway, and back into the circle city. Once into town, we veered onto Pleasant Run Parkway, taking the longer route back home.

So I had waken up with no expectations today, I was taking someone on their first long motorcycle trip, and meeting some family members. There is certainly no chance that I could call this a bad day. I was riding, so it has to be at least a good day. When I woke, the things that I thought would be interesting, were not the things that ran through my head as we approached the house. That is thing about expectations, having none lets your mind be free, and I have noticed when I do that, I tend to contemplate the good things.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less About the Riding

Riding with Veterans