Retreating to a Familiar Stop

Sunday, July 6th, 2008




When you use the same place as your starting point for rides, you find yourself on the same roads lots of times. You see roads that you want to check out by taking a stroll down, and see vistas you want to tour around to check out, and of course, you see places that you want to eat, but it is the wrong time, or you had planned to eat somewhere else. Today, I am going to at least correct one of these instances.

I have traveled down 421 all the way down to the Ohio River, and whether I am going there, or someplace else south in the Hoosier State. Most often the trip includes the town of Napoleon, Indiana. There is not much there but a gas station, which I have stopped at a lot of times, and a little eatery, Bonapart's Retreat. This would be the correct. I passed this Waterloo, or should I be proper, and say Watering Hole, several times, and wanted to eat there.

So I headed down SR 52 to SR 9, then into Shelbyville, Indiana. I got on 421, and headed down to Greensburg. It is known for the tree that grows out of it's court house. I stopped for a water break.

I headed on down, having to take some backroads around the construction for the new car plant, but eventually got back on track, and cruised into Napoleon. The retreat was waiting for me, as no one else was in the establishment.

After a good lunch, I headed out east, I needed desert next. Then I headed up north, through Batesville, and onto SR 229. The music was rocking, the back felt smooth and powerful, it was a great day for riding. Every once in a while the views were spectacular too!

It was at this point my mind wondered, thinking about how when things are good in life, we really don't appreciate them. If we spent half the time we do complaining, talking about how good things are, I think life would be better. With the comfort of this thought in my head, my mind drifted back to the song ringing in my ears.

My next stop would be in Metamora, for Ice Cream. If you have read any past entries, I am sure you have tripped across one of my Ice Cream Trips here. After a cool treat, a visit to the Covered Aquaduct, and little attention to the canal boat pulling horses, I was back on my way!

More back roads after a stint on SR 129, and I was heading back west. I ran through Carthedge, and Knightstown, having to wait for the train to pass. It was hot, and the stop for some water was much needed.

Eventually, I jogged west and north, and arrived on US 40, the National Road. This would lead back home, my belly full, my mind calm, my vision satisfied with another beautiful day and ride.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less About the Riding

Riding with Veterans