Gubernatorial Ride

Friday, August 17, 2007

First off, I am sure you are all impressed that I used such a word as Gubernatorial! This morning, I wasoff to ride to the statehouse of Indiana, and a ride with the Governor. The Head Hoosier has his own bike, in fact, he just got this one the last time I talked to him, after a taping of Indiana Lawmakers, a show I directed at the TV Station.

I started out heading west on Washington Street, after stopping for gas. I would take Washington all the way downtown, and past the statehouse to Michigan Road. I would go north about one block, and enter the lane on the west side of the statehouse. There were about 200 bikes already there. I apologize for the pictures, had to take them with my camera phone, forgot my camera on the kitchen counter.




I walked up to the statehouse, and filled out the waiver, and got the page of directions. I wasn't planning on doing the whole route before I showed up. It was Friday, I was riding Saturday and Sunday too, so I wanted to get back home and do some work. Plus, some other riding buddies were having lunch at a place I had not yet been too.

While returning, I ran into EasyRider Jim. We chatted while we waited for the ride to start. I think the first bike pulled out at 9:30am, right on time!! As my engine idled, waiting to take off, I saw Ernie roll in.

We went north out the back lane of the statehouse, then west on until we got back on Michigan Road, and went south to Maryland Avenue. Maryland heads east until it merges with Washington Street. Yes, the first leg would retrace the route I took to get there! We continued on Washington until it becomes US 40, the National Road. We continued into the town of Greenfield, birthplace of James Whitcom Riley, and turned south on SR 9. This southerly route through cornfields would lead us to Shelbyville.













Luckily, Ernie and I parked fairly close to each other, so we were able to see each other before we could dismount the bikes. I also saw where EasyRider Jim had parked. We all grouped up in a shady spot. After a minute or so, I heard my name called out, and turned around to see Brian S. behind me. He has come to breakfast on Sunday Mornings, and rides with the religious group that I get emails from.

As the rest of the group headed out on SR 9, completely missing some of the great roads of the area to get to Columbus, EasyRider and I stood still. We were heading for another destination. The end of the Governor's Route was in Paola, at around 5pm. It would be two more hours to get home. That would kill my chance to get anything done!

Jin and I headed north out of town, hit I-74, and headed back towards Indianapolis. We verred off the interestate, and onto Southeastern, a Frontage road at this point. Eventually, it leads into the town of Wanamaker. We pulled around the back of Wheatley's, and parked the bikes.

This place serves fish every Friday, and a lot of it. From their scoreboard, it seems as though they dish out 1200 to 1600 pounds of fish each week!!

After lunch, I headed out north, connecting to Post Road in short order. I took it north to US-52, where I headed west and north until Franklin Road. I went north to Washington Street, and then west to home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less About the Riding

Riding with Veterans