First Thursday of the Month!

Thursday, August 2, 2007

Well, it you are reading and thinking this is a Thursday Ride to the PUD, then you have forgotten this is the first Thursday of the month, and meeting time!

It was almost too hot to ride, but I knew the return trip would feature the sun sinking, and cooler temps.

I started out heading west on Washington Street. As I was going into town, the traffic would be lighter until I got through the middle of town. I had plotted the shortest route in the GPS, and as I remember, I hit very little traffic following this route.

At Arlington, I could see the flashing lights of police cars. As I approached the intersection, I could see that it involved a pick up truck, and small vehicle. I have ridden past motorcycle accidents before, even one on a ride I was on where the rider was killed. No matter how many times I pass, I cannot get over the unnerving feeling. I feel like I never need a reminder of how dangerous this is, and that if I tangle with about anything on the road, I will loose! There is nothing like reality to remind you, though.

I continued passed the backed up traffic on Washington Street. Traffic got heavier downtown, and squeezed together near Victory Field, as four lanes were merged down to two.

I continued until Tibbs Avenue, which I took north to 16th Street. I then head west on 16th Street and passed the famous Brickyard. Just a few days earlier, it was fill ed with about half a million people watching a Hoosier, Tony Stewart, win his second NASCAR Race that is held there. I can't wait until next year, and the motorcycle races, myself.

I veer northwest on Crawfordsville. Stopping at a couple of lights, I realize that it is still hot out. At High School Road, I turn north, and head for 30th Street.

I pulled into the parking, it was about ten minutes after 6, the meeting is scheduled for 6:30. There were two bikes parked along the building, a nd one in the middle of the lot, with a blond gal leaning against it. There are often other bikers at this pub, so I didn't think much of it. I pulled in and parked my bike along the building.

After a brief conversation with Al, we found out that the woman was a friend of his he had invited to join us. We went a waved her into the patio eating area.

We didn't have much of a meeting, as we usually don't, I decide everything on my own! I have tried to make it a democracy, but no one seems to want to enter any input!

I did get some feedback from Walt and his wife, she joined as another member, about my leading and road captain abilities. I just try to lead a ride with a mix of what I have learned from others, good and bad, and how I would like to be lead. The first thing I was always worried about, and I am sure I am not the only one, is being lost, and loosing the group. I try to assure everyone that I will not leave anyone. Next is taking a smooth, sometimes slow, comfortable pace for everyone. I hear more complements than the other, so I must be doing something right!

The meeting was fairly small, but the stories abounded, and I ended up leaving at about 9:30, when I am usually home! Two more members, and I think we are up to like 7 or 8 new members this year!!

I began my ride home going north on High School Road, then east on 38th Street. This road becomes I-65 South, which flows into I-70 East.

As I rode on the interstate, I began to reflect about leading these rides. I must admit, there are times that it seems like a lot of work, and I feel like I need to go back and ride the route alone, so I can enjoy the ride. It is one of those things you can get burned out on. I am at that point, and try to encourage anyone else to plan and lead rides.

But what I was really thinking was about the people who taught me how to lead. The first was Shooter Jim, who is the past President. He used to lead all the rides, and is the one that turned me on to Streets and Trips, and GPS. He also gave me several pointers on leading. He learned from Ralph Barnard, who was from the Bloomington Chapter. I was able to go on a couple of rides that he lead as well. I look at it as that I have learned from the best!!

Construction on I-70, and my exit coming up, would draw my thoughts to the ride, and exited to 465 South, then back to Washington Street.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less About the Riding

Riding with Veterans