Rekindling a Friendship and a Flavor

Friday, August 31, 2007

Today the destination is Bridgeton. I haven't been there in a while, and I haven't seen Mike Roe, the Mill Owner since last year!! First, I need to stop by the post office, get some stamps, and mail some items.

I continued on 10th Street, and decided to see how far it goes. The GPS was tracking me to Greencastle, so I knew I would get where I wanted to go! I ended up meandering on county roads, after they stopped calling it Tenth Street, and on SR 39, just north of Danville. I took it south, nearly hitting a woman backing up on a bridge, in the middle of the road, btw.

I eventually turned on SR 240, and made my way into Greencastle, Indiana. I then re-routed the GPS to Bridgeton. I had a twisty back road I wanted to take to get there. It is called Greencastle Road, even though I was heading away from that berg. I went south on SR 59 and then took county roads into the town named after its covered bridge.

After a potty break, I saw Mike and Karen, his wife, on a shiny new John Deere, and a young man taking pictures of them. Mike looked like a kid with a new teddy bear! In fact, his first words were, "Do you like my new toy?"

I talked to him about Covered Bridges, and got some names of more people to talk to about Covered Bridge Builders. Karen made me one of her soon to be world famous best cheeseburger cooked up near a dam site! Then I had a bowl of sweet potato pie ice cream. Yummy!!

It came time to leave, I really like the small town life, and I headed north for Rockville, Indiana. I turned east on US 36, and headed for Indianapolis. I figured I could make it back before fueling up. I was doing fine until I got into to town, and thought I could make time on I-70. Thought it would be ok before rush hour, but with the holiday weekend, rush hour came early. It was slow going, and the fuel light was burning bright!! I peeled off at Shadeland, after a little run in with a tour bus. Tell me this, why would a tour bus speed up to pass a motorcycle, to get in front it? Why not just get behind me, there was about a half a mile of space, and then we can both see the road ahead. After speeding up, and flipping the bird, I think he might have learned a lesson. So much for being a "professional" driver!!

I made the fuel stop at 21st and Shadeland. I usually pay attention to how much I out in, but I printed out a receipt.

From there it was just short trip down Shadeland, and then back on Tenth Street.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back in the Saddle, and the Gravel, and the Rain, Again.

Less About the Riding