This Ride will be a Gas!!

Saturday, October 27, 2007

I would start out by saying it is that time of year again, but this annual event has been a moving target in recent years. The Midwest Rep of Cruiser Club, USA holds a run each year to to he and his wife's home so everyone can get filled up with chunks of ham stewed with beans. There is of course also cornbread and desserts! Two years ago the ride was in July, and very hot, almost to hot for beans, but they are very good! Last year it was at the first of October, a perfect kick off to the fall season.

Well, you know what date this ride is on, and the weather had broken here in the midwest. Where it was near 80 at the beginning of the week, it had no turned cool and rainy. Today was no exception, and even though the moisture would cease falling, it was still heavy in the air, and in the dull gray sky overhead.

I ventured out, and followed a familiar path, east on Washington to Franklin Road, and then south. I took it all the way to Franklin, Indiana, and joined SR 44. I was trailing a group of three other motorcyclist. The pulled out a map, and the leader yelled 135 South. I looked down at the GPS, and just thought to myself, sucker.

SR 44 does go all the way to SR 135, but SR 144 splits off, and is a shorter funner track. I mention this because the trio of other riders where going straight at first. I figure they were heading to Nashville, Indiana, a favorite fall haunt.

I took SR 135 South as well, now in front of the other group. There was a light mist, but I was protected behind the shields on the bike, and on my helmet. I took SR 46 west into Bloomington. It only took a few lights before I was looking for a way of the main drag.

Eventually I pulled out onto SR 37, and headed further south. I took SR 54/58 further west to Van and Betty's home. I was the third and final bike to show up. I was also the one that rode the farthest.

Here are some pics:








At four I had to head back home, and I was taking the quick way! I started on SR 45, and then onto SR 37, back past Bloomington, and to Martinsville. More mist poured on me, and might have even rained a little. After a gas stop in Martinsville, I continued north, and actually had the sun cast my shadow for a few miles. I saw it, right there on the pavement! Not sure if that means six more weeks of autumn, or what?

I used 465 and Shadeland Avenue to get home. Not fun day to ride in, but it was worth it to get some Ham and Beans and see some good friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less About the Riding

Riding with Veterans