Working in a Two Wheel Office

Thursday, October 4,2007

I spoke before about Guilty Pleasures, and today would be another one of those days, but it would be a fruitful day.

It was going to be another hot day for October, as the normal high is 71 degrees, and it had eclipsed that make before I left. In fact the overnight low was just three degrees below that mark. It had been an unseasonable late summer, early fall. Just my luck!

I started out heading east on Washington Street, after a brief stop to fuel up, I eventually turned south on Post Road. I joined US-52, Brookville Road, and took it south and east. I could take this two lane highway all the way to Rushville. I would pass through a couple of towns along the way. I also passed The Roost, a chicken eatery that I would be returning to around noon. For now, I continued on to the Rush County Historical Society.

I meandered around town, and pulled up in front of the old house that is home to the museum and society. I stepped inside was greeted by three nice docents who filled me in on the people I need to talk to about Covered Bridge Builders. They even have a model covered bridge that was used for demo purposes.

After a great and fun conversation, and some notes, I headed back through town, and to The Roost. The dinning area was spartan at best, but the chicken was very good.

I headed back out of town, this time on Highway 44, heading west. After a couple of miles, I turned south on Flat Rock River Road. This area is not known for its twisty and scenic roads with trees aligned along them. I did happen to find a road that fit that criteria.

It was followed by a couple of county roads that had been freshly chipped, and therefore was still a little slippery from the loose, small gravel. I was following a car that was taking the path as slow and cautious as I was.

Eventually, I made it to the Forsythe Covered Bridge, as it's white walls beamed through the weeds and trees, and bounced off the stream below.

A couple of pictures later I continued down CR S500 W, arriving in Moscow, Indiana. I have been told this town is host to the longest Covered Bridge in Indiana. It looked it too! I crossed the bridge, park on the far side, and you guessed it, took some pictures.

I decided to then head back to the Forsythe Bridge, and try to figure out a nice route for the Cruiser Club to take sometime. I crossed the bridge, and continued on CR W 650 S. I turned north on S 725 W, and rode up to Highway 44. I would arrive near the town of Homer, and try to catch a glimpse of the Homer Bridge, which used to be the Homer Covered Bridge. Int he 1913 flood, it got floated to its current location.

I returned to 44, and headed back west. I veered off on to a county road, and then on to East Union Road. It was a nice road that meandered around through farms, some harvested, some not.

A few more county roads, a crossing of I-74, and I was on W 300 N. A pretty straight road, but a nice stroll through Hoosier Farm Country. One unusual thing was when I came upon a couple police cars with lights flashing, and one officer still in his car on a cell phone, and another outside his car talking to someone.

I passes the little scene, and continued to one of my favorite roads, London Road. I took it north, back over I-74, and onto a couple of county roads before making it back to US-52. I sped along until Shadeland Avenue and continued on my way home.

Another day at the office. Not sure how much of this daily grind I can take! lol

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back in the Saddle, and the Gravel, and the Rain, Again.

Riding with Veterans