GOE XI Day Four: Now this is a Group Ride!

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

I am writing this Thursday Morning, as it seems to be the only time I have the computer for a bit, and some time! I have also realized this is the last day of the rally, and it is a bittersweet moment. It has really been a busy and great time, but now it draws to a close. The over 1300 miles flash through my head in seconds, as I try to makes sure I remember all the good parts forever.

Since Tuesday threatened with rain, the two rides we had planned got shifted to the same day. Kevin had his group meet at the gas station across the street, and I had my ride group line up in the hotel parking lot. Now, I thought, when planning this ride, I might get 10 or 12 bikes. When I saw the line that I would later count at 23, I have to admit I was more worried than excited! That is a lot of bike to keep together!

After a driver's meeting, we headed out. The first part was north on I-77, then west on WV-47. I had to get this half mile long train through Parkersburg before we got to backroads. After a few stops to re-group, and let a few riders catch up after retrieving a part that flew off of the National President's Bike, we were on open road in one big pack.

I signaled to go single file when we entered Highway 555, and group stretched out to what was probably over a mile long. After 40 miles of weaving pavement, we took a break in Chesterhill, Ohio. I think we were the biggest thing to hit town in a long while, as every local that passed had to say hello, and wish us a safe journey. One man was taking lots of pictures, including one as we rounded a corner to go out of town.





We continued on 555 until SR 78, which we took west. The twisties would turn to sweepers, and the trees would give way to long and wide scenic vistas. I was taking it easy and slow, like I was in slow motion, but it seemed the rest of the group was having a great time.




We arrived in Glouster, Ohio, and nearly filled the Dairy Queen parking lot. Arriving a 12:30, I figured it would be 2 before we pulled out. I sent some of those who needed fuel out to a gas station while the other poured into the restaurant. Let me just say the workers did a fantastic job! We had about 30 people, and we were all gassed up, fed, and ready to head out at 1:30!! They deserve a round of applause for getting us through in such short order! Sure it is a chain that we could go to at home, but today was about the ride, and we were eager to see the next set of curves!




The afternoon portion did not have as many twists, so it was a relaxing trip. We stopped in Hocking Hills State Park, in a nice shady spot. We meandered our way back east, until we got to the edge of Athens, Ohio. This was the last gas stop and bathroom break.

US 50 would take us back to Belpre, Ohio. It goes through town some, and our pack got split up. Luckily, Ed from the Fort Wayne Chapter was leading the group, and he had a GPS with the route loaded. We took a little longer way, that I thought would be faster. So you can imagine my surprise when we pulled up behind the back of the group at the SR 14 exit!! At least I knew everyone had made it back, and safe!!

It was a short walk from the bike to the hotel room, but I heard a lot of thank yous, and got a few pats on the back. It was great to be out on a ride, but it sure did feel like work. This kind of work I could enjoy, though!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less About the Riding

Riding with Veterans