GOE XI Day One: The Trip Out

Saturday, June 16th, 2007

It is hard to believe yet another year has passed, and it is time for Cruiser Club, USA to hold it's annual rally, Gathering of Eagles, or GOE. This is number 11, the seventh for me.

My brother and his wife rode down from Lafayette, and arrived shortly after 8am. We began the trip heading east on Washington Street until Post Road. We went south to US 52, which we would be on until we crossed into Ohio, then back to Indiana, and into Kentucky. We took a break in Brookville, and I thought the next one would be when I ran out of gas, but we found a pump in the middle of no where, and I could put three and half gallons of fuel into my four and half gallon tank. Think about it, would you like to be somewhere you are unfamiliar with and only have a gallon of gas?




Two young blond girls in a Blue Ford Thunderbird pulled into to fuel up as we were taking a break. When the pulled out, one of the girls whistled. My brother was inside going the bathroom, so he wife turned to me, and told me I had just been whistled at. I checked the car as it was pulling out, and the girl driving seemed to be paying more attention in our direction than the road!

The rest of the trip would be weaving back and forth across the Ohio River. We wanted to eat at a diner that had our mother's name, Rita, but we couldn't find it, so we settled at a Country Kitchen Mom and Pop kind of place. The food was very good, and after the waitress asked where we from, she revealed her daughter, and new grandbaby lived not too far from my brother! Small world again!

A few more times across the Ohio, some good twisty roads in the woods, and we would be in West Virginia. Hard to believe that I made this trip a couple of months ago in five hours. This time it would take twice the time, and we only added 100 miles?

It was a great ride, and we arrived safe and sound. Another first, my brother and I were the first to check in! Usually, we are the last, and we are also wet from rain. A couple of years we have had black hands from our leather gloves bleeding on our hands!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less About the Riding

Riding with Veterans