GOE XI Final Day: The Journey Home

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Well, after a couple of days of riding and sleeping in the mountains, I guess being around so many people really drained me, it was time to head back home. Saturday Night was spent near Wheeling, West Virginia, right on US 40. I was about 290 miles from home, and my choice of The National Road, or the Superslab, I-70.

I started out on US-40, but it becomes I-70 before too long. I was making good time, and I was ready to be home. I-70 must be the most worked on section of interstate in the country! I saw more orange barrels then I have ever seen!

Springfield, Ohio was 160 miles into the trip, and the fuel light had been glowing bright for about 30 miles. I pulled off onto US-40, and pulled into a gas station. I had about 120 miles left, and I felt lucky that so far I had skirted any storms. A few sprinkles splashed the windshield, but it was really nothing.

After a few more miles, and passing along Dayton, Ohio, I crossed the border back into the Hoosier State. Still rolling on I-70, as I was making good time.

The skies over my destination were getting darker, and I knew that rain was in my future. It started as a light sprinkle, then dried out. As I approached the Mount Comfort, Indiana exit, the rain increased. The speed made it feel worse, but I decided to pull off, and take some surface street to get back home. The rain was light, and I meandered my way along behind the Sunday Drivers, tooling along in front of me!

I was glad to pull into the garage, and put the kickstand down for the last time. I was really drained, exhausted. I feel like I have little time to re-coup, as I need to start planning for next year's GOE, right here in Indianapolis!!

If you want to see all of my pictures, Click Here!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey Rodney, Sounds like you had a great time in WVA. I was checking the National site and there is nothing there about GOE XI. I expected to see some sort of write up about it. Will there be??

Al
Unknown said…
Yep Al, We did have a great time!! Usually the National Director will issue a letter, and then I will publish it.

Popular posts from this blog

Less About the Riding

Riding with Veterans