GOE XI Day Four: No One Can Predict the Future

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Well I thought I would be here to tell you all about Hawk's Nest and New River Gorge. But when I woke up to 80 percent chance of severe weather with hail, I knew that dream was in jeopardy. That is the bad news, the good news is that you are reading something, so you know I rode somewhere. Either that, or I am being a big tease!

Most of the morning I had one eye on the radar, and another on Streets and Trips, looking for other route that I might be able sneak in between storm cells. We decided to delay the Hawk's Nest Ride, and Kevin will lead it, and I will lead the Hocking Hills Ride.

With about only Julie and I's bikes left in the lot, I decided to ring her up, and see if she wanted to go for short ride. She was caught between which ride to go on tomorrow, so I thought I could take her up Highway 555, and then she could go on the Hawk's Nest Ride, and not feel like she missed anything.

We met up in my room, with the maid still cleaning up, and made up a plan. I loaded the GPS, and off we went. After making our way through town, we arrived at Highway 555.

There were new patches of pavement, and freshly painted lines. It helps to see how the asphalt snakes around the hills and dales of this area of southeastern Ohio. The last stretch was completely re-paved.




From 555, we headed west on 78, which lead us to the town of Glouster, Ohio. Julie fueled up her bike, and we stopped in at little diner for lunch. We left going south out of town on SR 13 until we veered off on SR 329.

329 was a nice road, weaving along farms, with some log stretches of up and down riding. After about 10 miles, we switched to 144. This road curved its way along a river, and the road was enjoyable as the scenery. A few sprinkles told us when we were out from under the trees, but it was not enough to stop or slow down.

144 spilled us out to US 50, which would take back into Belpre, Ohio, and the Redwood Inn, where we would take a break for a little ice cream. We picked up SR 14 after crossing the Ohio River, and made one more stop at Walmart.

So the weather held for us, but who knows what would have happened had we headed to Hawk's Nest, the radar say we would gotten rained on!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back in the Saddle, and the Gravel, and the Rain, Again.

Less About the Riding