GOE XI Day Two: Pre-Riding the Poker Run

Sunday, June 17, 2007

When it comes to leading a groups, any time you can get a chance to pre-ride a route, it is good idea to take it. With that in mind, we arrived early so we could ride, and mark the route we will be running on Thursday.

My brother's wife decided to hang back at the hotel, and Brent and Callie from the Black Swamp Chapter joined Kevin and I for the stop and start journey.

We began by pulling out of the Comfort Inn in Mineralwells, West Virginia, and stopped almost immediately for gas. Our first turn was onto the ramp for I-77. Yeah, I know I said Interstate, but it was only for a couple of miles. It will give a chance for the groups to sort out, and get arranged.

We take the ramp for WV-47, our first side road on the trip. After a brief pause to mark a sign with Green Tape and a Green Arrow, for left turns, we headed east on 47.

We only traveled WV-47 for a few miles before we hit the real back roads of West Virginia. As we traveled deeper into the tree lined road, the dueling banjos got louder and louder! Just kidding, but we were in the back woods country.

After meandering through the woods, we arrive at US 50, which we ride for only mile, and after marking the signs, we continue on more backroads. These roads are not as in good shape, but have enjoyable curves and scenery.

We join up with WV-31, and wander north until we reach a tee intersection. The reason? The Ohio River. I have never crossed this river as many times in my life as I have in the past two days!! We rode WV-7 along the river into the town of St. Marys. We discussed this card stop, and took a break.







We backtracked out of St. Marys, crossed the Ohio River, and headed further east on Ohio 2. We cruiser along the river for about 14 miles, then came up on County Road 800. This is a smooth, twisty road that runs along the edge of the Wayne State National Forest.

We rode it into a small town, checked out the size of a McDonald's Parking Lot, and had lunch at the Hometown Inn. We started the next leg by backtracking south on 800, and then veered onto SR 26 after about three miles.

SR 26 got marked, and we continued for 60 uninterrupted miles through Wayne State National Forest. Weaving, twisting, turning, I hope I have made you seasick, because I was having fun!!

The fun stops when we reach Marietta, Ohio. After marking the one turn we make in town, we stopped for fuel, and a water break. It was only about 20 miles back to the hotel, and with limited roads over the Ohio, we hopped on the highway, and took the I 77 super slab back.

We were able to to return before 2:30, took us about 6 hours to run the route, including the time for lunch! The groups should make it through in 5 hours easy.

With time on my hands, I decided to take a pre-dinner ride to work up my appetite. I headed out of town on SR 14, and after crossing that river another time, I joined 618.

After traveling this road that merges into several others on the way out of Belpre, Ohio, I turned off to the Triple Nickel Highway, Ohio 555. I really like this stretch of road, and I no one around me, so I rode it pretty hard. Didn't drag the floorboards too many times, so I was not hanging it out to much!

I interuptted the fun by turning on Ohio 3, and heading back east. It had some fun spots. It seemed very quick that I returned to County Road 339. I had burned up about 35 miles, and it seemed like I just started!

I returned to 618, and stopped off at a diner for some eats. SR 14 would take me back over the river, through the town, and to the Comfort Inn I go. The bike is in its stable for the night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less About the Riding

Riding with Veterans